Which provides a more desirable flow?

schulzjp

I decided to drop my hydor rotating deflector and am going with alternating maxijets controlled by my ac jr. I wanted to know what people thought is best or had better experience with.

Would it be better to switch between the two power heads every 30 sec, 1min, 5 min, 30min, every few hours??? I was thinking shorter alternations would simulated waves crashing where as the long intervals (+4 hrs) would be more like tide going in, then out. I also have a SCWD on my return which should be helping with some of the quick intervals (every 20 sec i guess).

So what does everyone think?

PICT0775.jpg

Nice picture. How do you like that over-the-back overflow?

I find that longer durrations then the standard wavemaker are a bit better at getting that flow all the way across the tank. It gets more flow to the coral and keeps waste in suspension and has less dead spots. I'm sure others will disagree, but that is what works for me. With an AC Jr being so easy to change, I suggest you try both (and something in the middle) till you find what works for you and your tank.

Interesting way to mount the MJs

Thanks, I find that turning the MJs that way makes them look smaller (important for a 20 gallon), and it pulls the jet closer to the wall, allowing an extra 2-3 in. of room for the water to move across the tank. Right now im trying 30 min alternation between MJs to see how I like it.

I find the CPR overflow works fine, but I would rather have tank drilled. I just replaced the clear tubing for the aqualifter to black tubing because I was having an issue where the tube would grow algae and clog (The tank has overflowed about 1/2 a gallon twice because my tubing was clogged and I didnt catch it in time).