Hermit vs Xmas tree worms

lancer99

I got a nice piece of Xmas tree rock from Seasave a couple of weeks ago, with 8 worms.

A couple of days ago I noticed one was missing...so started to worry.

Then yesterday I was down to 6, worrying more....

Tonight I come home and find a hermit crab (1/2" shell) perched on top of the rock. He hopped off as soon as I got close to the tank, and I swear I could see a guilty look on his face :)

I'm pretty certain the hermit wasn't picking at the Porites itself, coz it's as healthy as can be, with great polyp extension (for a Porites).

Do y'all think I've found the culprit?

Or maybe the worms just aren't getting enough food (although they look very healthy, haven't shrunk, etc.), dying, and the hermit's just snacking on their remains?

Thx for any advice,

-R

Christmas Tree worms, in my experience, are difficult to keep alive. They are filter feeders and I have noticed that they don't last long. Of course, the last time I had one was when I was first starting up 15 years ago...

Dave, I'm hoping you're wrong :)

When I had Xmas tree worms before, they were fine...doing the same thing this time, stirring up a bit (just a bit) of the substrate 3x per day.

I put the Porites on top of a plastic ring, about 1-1/2" elevated off the sand, so that will definitely eliminate the hermits.

Thanks for your help,

-R