Raising baby fish

davelin315

I was wondering whether baby fish could survive on copepods instead of rotifers. Seems like in nature they wouldn't have rotifers to eat necessarily. The reason I ask is that in one of my sumps if you look in the water is teeming with tiny copepods or isopods that are in the free swimming phase (this is a constant thing - they are the same size or smaller than nauplii, probably smaller). If I ever get some fry, could they feasibly eat these? There are literally hundreds of thousands of them in there. I have a pair of black ocellaris clowns that are slowly but surely getting to be a bonded pair and I figure it's a matter of time before they become a mating pair.

I was wondering whether baby fish could survive on copepods instead of rotifers. Seems like in nature they wouldn't have rotifers to eat necessarily. The reason I ask is that in one of my sumps if you look in the water is teeming with tiny copepods or isopods that are in the free swimming phase (this is a constant thing - they are the same size or smaller than nauplii, probably smaller). If I ever get some fry, could they feasibly eat these? There are literally hundreds of thousands of them in there. I have a pair of black ocellaris clowns that are slowly but surely getting to be a bonded pair and I figure it's a matter of time before they become a mating pair.

The fry should eat the tiny pods if there are enough of them in the water. They probably won't have the nutritional value equal to rotifers fed with greenwater but you could always try gutloading the pods by putting them in a cup of water for a while before feeding the fry. If you ever get in the situation where you need rotifers or greenwater just let me know. My rotifer and greenwater cultures aren't quite up to par just yet but will be very soon.

Wreck

I got to see the rotifer & greenwater culturing at Rick's... very interesting. It doesn't look too hard, it's just a couple more things that a person has to worry about on top of all the rest of the aquarium stuff.