MH Ballasts

yagerboy

I have a light fixture with 3 250W MH and actinics. A while ago one of my MH Ballasts stopped working soon after they were bought but at the time my tank was FOWLR. I am soon going to be breaking down my 75 reef tank and add everything to my 180 and with what I want will neeed all 3 MH's working.

Does anyone reparit them or do I have to buy a new one?

Thanks

are you sure it is the ballast? could be the cap?

I think that qualifying Doug's question will help. First, what type of ballast is it? If it's an electronic ballast, there's only one part - the ballast itself. If that's blown, it's blown. If it's a magnetic ballast then there are multiple parts inside. The ballast itself should be OK for a long time but you may have to replace the capacitor. There are some other parts, too, I think, but it's been awhile since I've gone through anything like that. If you can, get someone who some electronics know-how to test it out with a voltage meter. This should lead you to find where the current is failing.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure what type they are. They came with the lite and I can't remember what type the lite was either. The lite is a hanging unit 6 feet long or so with 3 250W MH's and 4 actinics. The 3 ballasts are plain black boxes with a electric switch on each. When they are workign they hum, but the one does nothing. I'll have an electrician friend check it out to see it it is getting power.

They're magnetic if they hum. I think it's the capacitor that makes it hum. Pop the ballast open and check the wiring (the ballast is just one part inside the black box). My guess is that they are coralife if they are in the black ballast boxes. That's what color mine were long ago and I haven't seen too many other black ballast boxes.