Urchins are sooooo funny

mogurnda

Just as I was about to run out the door with the dogs, I decided to give the 65 in the office a quick once-over. "Funny," I thought, "the sump seems awfully full.

Then I realized the ATO reservoir that was full last night had dropped to about 1/3. That means about 10 gallons of water had gone in.

"Dang, float switch got stuck," then looked to find the urchin had decided to decorate itself with the float switch and crawl off.

Put the switch back into its mount. Excess drained. Will slowly return specific gravity to the right place. Nobody looks worse for wear.

Urchin evicted. It was bad enough that it rearranged my frags. This was too much.

This is the culprit. Imagine a float switch instead of a snail shell.

pic18.jpg

Even a backup float switch would not have prevented that from happening. Just goes to show, there's always the chance of something unexpected happening. All we can do is try our best to build in fail-safes like not using a direct RO/DI feed to our ATO!

Yep. You build something and try to make it idiot-proof, then you find out you're an even bigger idiot than you thought.