Canopy Plans for Light Mover

salmon alley

Don't have any...looking for some :)

My pet peeve is having to reach over the bottom lip of a canopy to get into my tank, so I'm looking for something that will allow unfettered access to the tank when open (like front door swinging open or possibly up). But I need to incorporate a light mover track and dual T5s on either side.

I'm no engineer so I have a tough time visualizing this. Hoping someone will add their 0.02.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you mean, but on the top of my canopy I have a piano hinge about 1/3 of the way from the front. The front face of the canopy is fixed in place to the top, so when I open it the whole front part of the canopy swings up and out of the way.

For lights it goes like this:

T5 - VHO - hinge - MHs - VHO - T5.

The T5 & VHO in the front swing up along with that part of the canopy when I open it. I just have enough slack in the wires to allow that to happen.

A better carpenter would have made it look a lot better, but overall I am very happy with the design. The best part about it is the access it gives to the tank. I think I could throw on a mask and snorkel and get my head in there if I wanted to. Probably wouldn't be the best thing for skimmer performance though.

Edited by Rascal

Not sure if this is what you mean, but on the top of my canopy I have a piano hinge about 1/3 of the way from the front. The front face of the canopy is fixed in place to the top, so when I open it the whole front part of the canopy swings up and out of the way.

The T5 & VHO in the front swing up along with that part of the canopy when I open it. I just have enough slack in the wires to allow that to happen.

A better carpenter would have made it look a lot better, but overall I am very happy with the design. The best part about it is the access it gives to the tank. I think I could throw on a mask and snorkel and get my head in there if I wanted to. Probably wouldn't be the best thing for skimmer performance though.

That design sounds like what I'm looking for. How does the front panel stay up? Does is swing all the way up to lay on the remaining canopy?

Rascal, Any chance of a photo? I too am interested in changing my "custom" hood and would like to entertain other ideas. Thanks Bob :clap:

I addressed that exact issue in this thread right here

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...15962&st=40

check the second page, the hood was just a fixed rim with an opening top. I modified it that short chick there so the entire front swung up with the rest of the hood. Works like a charm.

That design sounds like what I'm looking for. How does the front panel stay up? Does is swing all the way up to lay on the remaining canopy?

Just about. It doesn't lay all the way flat. There is about a 5 - 10 degree angle. No worries about it swinging shut accidentally.

Rascal, Any chance of a photo? I too am interested in changing my "custom" hood and would like to entertain other ideas. Thanks Bob :clap:

I took a couple photos just now. Let me try to get them uploaded and posted tomorrow.

Just about. It doesn't lay all the way flat. There is about a 5 - 10 degree angle. No worries about it swinging shut accidentally.

I took a couple photos just now. Let me try to get them uploaded and posted tomorrow.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing them.

Thanks for the pictures. It gives a much better idea of what you were talking about. Looks SWEET!!!!!

I don't want to jack this thread, but rascal could you take some more detailed shots of that manifold for me, send em or post em.

Sure. Nothing fancy though. The bottom one is the closed loop return. Basically just a rectangle that sits on the rim of the tank with 3 outlets front and back, directly across from each other, each with a locline Y. That gives me 12 outlets for my Dart - very dispersed flow. On top of that is the return-from-sump. It is just a T to each end of the tank, with a locline Y on each end facing towards the center of the tank. Everything comes up the back of the tank over the top. I'll try to get another pic in the next couple of days.