Red .... algae? and bubbles...

FishWife

Hey all...

So, we bought (about two weeks ago) some lovely, 9-month old (in an aquarium) live rock and put it into a holding tank with three PC lights over top for about 12-14 hours per day with the one hitchiker damself fish (that mistakenly came with...). One mechanical filter, low flow, and all tests are fine.

1. The green algae on the rocks has blossomed and is growing like mad on the rocks and also on the tank glass. No problem, we know but... there are lots of large bubbles all over it... is this ok? AND...

2. In portions of the green carpets are red patches that have started to grow, and parts are growing to look "slimy". They are cranberry red... are they good or bad? (Have tried to take a picture and my camera won't cooperate, sorry. Is this coraline algae? The pictures I find don't have the same "filmy" look...)

Any ideas?

TIA

If it easily peels off and blows around, then congratulations! You're the proud owner of cyano. Cut back the light and food, increase the flow, use a turkey baster to blow any and all crud out from the rocks, and do a good water change after the dust settles (and another the next day). Basically, there are too many nutrients in the water and they are not being exported. Not a huge problem -- it just takes patience.

Edited by EBR

The red is cyanobacteria. Pretty normal for a new tank, especially one with PC lighting. How old are those bulbs? Turning up the flow will help a bit, so will dripping kalkwasser and checking your magnesium is 1300+ helps keep it in check.

So many greens it is impossible to guess. A picture would surely help (even a not very good one). Are the bubbles green? Maybe closer to brown? Or are all the bubbles actually red?

I would cut your lighting back a bit for now. Nothing in that tank needs light except the algae. Actinics are good to get the coraline going and the problem algae hates it.

I am not sure if you meant the bubbles are air bubbles all over the rock or a form of algea.

If it's just a holding tank for live rock you are eventually going to put in a reef, I would kill the lights entirely, put a skimmer on it, and start doing water changes. Sounds like you've got hair algae, bubble algae, and cyano. None of it will live without light. You will lose some coraline too but that's about it. IMO it's easier to grow coraline algae later than it is to get rid of nuisance algae. Kill it now while it's easy to do.

(edited)

OK; thanks for all that!

It IS a holding tank, we HAVE turned off the lights (they were bought used and are probably low spectrum... not sure). We have had low flow... we knew that but we thought it was "just for a few days." There keep being delays in getting our display tank with good flow up and running, though, and now we're over here... with problems. Oh, well, we're learning!

Just to clarify: the bubbles are clear air bubbles... about the size of small bee bees (dating myself... do they even have bee bee guns anymore?) that cling all over the algae (and under the cyano).

Holding tank is bare bottomed, so we have killed the lights and will vaccuum detritus and rocks later today (after church) and do water changes as suggested. Many thanks... and let me know if the bubbles are concerning or just part of longer, regular algae (like an unmowed lawn), not hair algae (I don't think).

THANKS!!! This community is SO great. We can't wait until WE are the ones giving back to you all in some form or fashion!

Edited by FishWife

Just to clarify: the bubbles are clear air bubbles... about the size of small bee bees (dating myself... do they even have bee bee guns anymore?) that cling all over the algae (and under the cyano).

Holding tank is bare bottomed, so we have killed the lights and will vaccuum detritus and rocks later today (after church) and do water changes as suggested. Many thanks... and let me know if the bubbles are concerning or just part of longer, regular algae (like an unmowed lawn), not hair algae (I don't think).

The air bubbles are most likely oxygen being produced by the algae during photosynthesis, so they are nothing to worry about.

As Rascal mentioned, a skimmer would also be a great help.

-Robert