"Reef Ceramics"

yauger

I have been seeing Reef Ceramics for sale on various sites and they look darn good, however I have been told by a couple people that they are not reef safe. It is said that they cause your reef display to die over time, has anyone had any experience with this? If so what causes this chain reaction of slow death over time?

I have done some searches on RC concerning this topic, some explain the ceramics leach certain minerals that cause an increase of nitrates in the system, however I have read the representative of Captive Oceans refute this with his research in long term usage... According to the research (bias in my opinion) the ceramics have to be cured for at least 2 months staged in RO water with a heater & powerheads. They were not admitting that the ceramics leached anything but reasoned the curing process to fully cure the ceramic material used... There was some talk on why the company does not include this process before they sell their products, but there was no response from Captive Oceans.

Not to say everyone had issues with ceramics because there were people who used them with no ill effects at all, it seems to be a crap shoot whether your system will crash or not...

What do you guys and gals think?

http://www.captiveoceans.com/ReefCeramics.htm

gallery_1704_199_98305.jpg

I guess my question is how it would be any different from ceramic bio-media, that everyone with reef systems tosses out?

Tracy

do you mean bio-balls?

I think this is a different type of ceramics... one thing I have read on the RC threads is that they actually do act as live rock after some time in a seeded tank... is there someone in the club thats using this stuff?

wonder how long it would take to encrust

from the website also user feedback almost 5 months for complete coverage of coraline algae... this is of course with a lot of flow directed to the ceramic structure..