Carl's 75 reef

Carl

LMAO!!!

Oh yeah, it's an interesting project for sure! And I don't have an OM either so I can only imagine.

Here is a little tip, make SURE you leave enough room behind the tank so you can reach and work on, everything.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tagging along Carl. I am planning my new 92 corner and your build is really helping me with the planning/design stage. Good job!!

What do you guys think of this place www.flexpvc.com?

Also... one question that I had while considering all the holes I want to drill on the tank.... how much of a weak point is the actual bulkhead in the drilled hole? Meaning... if I had a leak in one of the lower bulkheads it will empty the whole tank and there is no way to stop it! Did you consider that in your design? Is it worth it to use sch80 on the bulkheads to prevent leaks? Do you add silicon on the bulkhead fitting or just rely on the rubber ring?

I guess it was more than one question :blush:

Again, great build!! Would love to take a look at the setup!

(edited)

Tagging along Carl. I am planning my new 92 corner and your build is really helping me with the planning/design stage. Good job!!

What do you guys think of this place www.flexpvc.com?

BRK has flex pvc.

and if you, or anyone else needs some, I have a whole lot of 1 inch flexpvc available. I bought a 50 foot roll, and will likely only use 1/3 of it. I'll look up the receipt to see what I paid for it if you need some.

Also... one question that I had while considering all the holes I want to drill on the tank.... how much of a weak point is the actual bulkhead in the drilled hole? Meaning... if I had a leak in one of the lower bulkheads it will empty the whole tank and there is no way to stop it! Did you consider that in your design? Is it worth it to use sch80 on the bulkheads to prevent leaks? Do you add silicon on the bulkhead fitting or just rely on the rubber ring?

I guess it was more than one question :blush:

I assume the holes in the glass makes it weaker. How much weaker? Nobody in my research seems to know for sure. So I seem to be the first one out there with 6 holes in one panel of glass in a 75. The bulkheads are designed for use without silicone, so I will not be using silicone. I am using sched40 on most everything...but did upgrade it to 80 based in a few spots...just based on gut feelings. I'll post pictures soon, but i upgraded to 80 where I'm connecting directly to the Dart and OM.

Again, great build!! Would love to take a look at the setup!

PM me, and you're more than welcome to stop by.

Edited by Carl

I REALLY prefer the Sch 80 bulkheads, or heavy duty as they are also referred too. But they take a bigger hole so plan accordingly when you're drilling the holes. You want to make sure that the pipe is supported by something other than the bulkhead. Don't let the weight of the pipe, full of water, hang on the bulkhead. They are fragile.

Thanks Carl, I will take you up on both your offers, the Flex PVC and the "tour" :)

I REALLY prefer the Sch 80 bulkheads, or heavy duty as they are also referred too. But they take a bigger hole so plan accordingly when you're drilling the holes. You want to make sure that the pipe is supported by something other than the bulkhead. Don't let the weight of the pipe, full of water, hang on the bulkhead. They are fragile.

Good point tbittner. Now, how do you go about supporting Flexible PVC?

Great question! I don't know. I used hard PVC and ran the pipes up from a manifold that sits on the floor. I guess you could attach something to the wall and connect the pipe to it, something like a bracket hanger. Just something so the entire weight of the pipe isn't hanging on that bulkhead. When the pipe is full of water, it's quite heavy.

I just bought some pvc straps to hold the pipes against the back of the stand. I'm not sure it will hold the weight, but it will prevent the hose from being moved around and stress put on the glass.

(edited)

OK...before I start plumbing/glueing the two bulkhead overflows to the sump...What is the secret to NO GURGLING?

I have two 1.5 inch bulkheads that will return to the sump. I'm considering putting one directly into the skimmer - Would gravity feed the skimmer with enough GPH?

And take the other 1.5 return, and have it enter thesump/skimmer chamber, going through the 3 glass under/over/unders baffles and into the fuge...then to the Mag5 return.

So 2 questions here...how do I prevent the noise? And is gravity good enough to feed the skimmer?

As you can see in the picture...do I use a 45 and just send the water down to the sump/skimmer?

Or so I have to add a T, and cap the top of the T, and put a hole in it for air?

2d2f613a.jpg

Here's a shot of the inside of the tank...I've added four, 1/2 inch returns being fed from a 1 inch pipe T'd off of my Dart. (the other part of the T, goes to the OM) You can see the Mag5, filter sock and sump plumbing through the bottom of the tank glass.

88402a32.jpg

Edited by Carl

That should give you good circulation. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I tend to cap the end of the pipe instead of putting an elbow on the end so the pressure builds equally within the pipe and all returns get equal flow.

That should give you good circulation. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I tend to cap the end of the pipe instead of putting an elbow on the end so the pressure builds equally within the pipe and all returns get equal flow.

Good point...And since I have NO idea what the flow will be like...I'm going to keep everything unglued inside the tank until I get a feel for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Carl........any new pics of the tank?

OK...before I start plumbing/glueing the two bulkhead overflows to the sump...What is the secret to NO GURGLING?

Don't add any water? :lol2:

(sorry, couldn't resist :bb: )

Hey Carl........any new pics of the tank?

I'll take a few pictures tonight. Progress over the last couple of weeks...

I've taken down the 65 gallon, put everything in a 29 gallon. The 65 is gone this weekend.

I've plumbed the return from the tank to the CL pump with flex pvc.

I've gone with a real mish-mash of plumbing...a text book case of not being consistent.

I am now using pex for my return from my OM to the tank.

Carl - Check out this site......it should explain how to get rid of the gurgling:

http://www.dursostandpipes.com

How do you make them quiet...if they are not standpipes...just two bulkheads out the back of the tank. I actually don't know if mine are quiet or noisey yet...but figured I should ask now, and only have to build them once.

New pics please! It's looking great. Any reason u went with a cL instead of tunzes/vortechs?

I like the CL idea...

With my 65 tank. The tank was all equipment, no fish.

Very large bakpak pre-skimmer

two heaters,

and three powerheads.

My clownfish were laying eggs on the powerhead every two weeks...

So, I want to go to the other extreme...no visible equipment.

And what I've discovered over the past couple of weeks...that in order to eliminate powerheads in the tank...it takes 10x more plumbing to create a CL system under and behind the tank...it's spaghetti!!

Don't add any water? :lol2:

(sorry, couldn't resist :bb: )

Thanks for the heads up :bb:

I doubt if you're going to have noise. The water will flow through the bulkhead and down the pipe. You'll probably hear some water falling noise but I doubt if it will be much.