Birth, Death & Senseless Gorging...

bprinehart

My wife and I were spending some time watching our tank this evening, when she commented on how big one of our peppermint shrimp had gotten. "Look how big the tail is now!", Lisa said. Upon closer inspection it was very apparent that she (Consuela, our peppermint) was harboring countless numbers of larvae on the underside of her tail. We were extremely excited to know that we are providing a home our critters feel secure enough to reproduce in.

Then, without warning, she literally shook the larvae free, causing a snowstorm of little peppermint babies to fill the tank. My wife had looked away for a moment, so, I let her know what had happened by exclaiming "Look, the babies!" We were tickled pink. In very short order our Maroon Clown, Coral Beauty, and Yellow Watchman began feasting with gusto. Poor kids never had a chance. We couldn't help but feel extremely privileged for having witnessed such a display.

Just wanted to share that with all you fine folks this evening. Probably old hat for most members here, but exciting for us nonetheless.

:cheers:

it went the other way when I had a shrimp in my tank... shrimp feasting on clown eggs

How cool! Nature at work!

I'm really glad that I had to get some peppermints after spotting some teeny tiny aiptasia on a rock. They are so funny. They live in a cave and are never visible, unless it's time to eat. Watching one of them come out to snag a pellet (they take turns) is always a comical show.

Maybe a couple of hatchlings landed in a hole and stand a chance at a future. Keep us posted!!

Tracy

How cool! Nature at work!

I'm really glad that I had to get some peppermints after spotting some teeny tiny aiptasia on a rock. They are so funny. They live in a cave and are never visible, unless it's time to eat. Watching one of them come out to snag a pellet (they take turns) is always a comical show.

Maybe a couple of hatchlings landed in a hole and stand a chance at a future. Keep us posted!!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy. It really was quite cool to see nature at work. I'd put that right up there with coming home from work and finding my maroon finally giving my BTA some attention. We're finding this hobby does require quite a bit of vigilance, however the rewards far outweigh the minimal amount of time required.

Speaking of the hatchlings, I've seen 2 or 3 this morning floating around yet, and they still appear to be moving. On the off chance that 1 or 2 do make it, what would be a good food for them, rotifers, DTs? I was thinking about adding some type of phyto to the tank food mix just in case.

Thanks,

Brian