HOBs of nanos question

treesprite

so, then people use HOB filters on nanos, what do they put in them?

Thats it? So basically its a chemical filter?

AC70 stuffed with chaeto and a clip on light - that's it. I dump and change the water about once a month when I prune.

not purigen... it can help but the best nano's i've seen didn't use it.

put some cheato and live rock rubble in it, and run a little clip on PC light... if you can, opposite your main lighting schedule.

also, weekly water changes, especially if you have fish are a must. this is really the most important things. nanos can change params really quick, and water changes are the best way to keep everything cool.

i just do an 8 gallon change weekly on my 20g holdling tank (set up while the aquapod cures) and let me tell you, it does wonders.

Edited by Charlie97L

believe me, I know to do water changes.

In a nano of 10g, it seems to me that putting LR in a HOB filter isn't going to make much of a difference. I'm just trying to decide if I should section off the end of the tank as a little sump/fuge area, or be lazy and just put a HOB on the tank; I just want to get the thing going.

believe me, I know to do water changes.

In a nano of 10g, it seems to me that putting LR in a HOB filter isn't going to make much of a difference. I'm just trying to decide if I should section off the end of the tank as a little sump/fuge area, or be lazy and just put a HOB on the tank; I just want to get the thing going.

i'd do a HOB, with mostly cheato... some people put LR rubble in not as a filter, but an extra breeding ground area for pods, sorry shoud have been more specific. the cheato/macro should keep your phos/nitrates down.

i'd do a HOB, with mostly cheato... some people put LR rubble in not as a filter, but an extra breeding ground area for pods, sorry shoud have been more specific. the cheato/macro should keep your phos/nitrates down.

I guess I could mod my aquaclear like some people do. Right now it's running with nothing in it to add flow to my 45 because a powerhead died. I don't think I will need a separate light over it - I have direct sun through a wall-length window by which this will be... my window ledge is a potted jungle basically, so I'm sure I'll be ok with that.

I guess I could mod my aquaclear like some people do. Right now it's running with nothing in it to add flow to my 45 because a powerhead died. I don't think I will need a separate light over it - I have direct sun through a wall-length window by which this will be... my window ledge is a potted jungle basically, so I'm sure I'll be ok with that.

If keeping nitrates and phos down isnt a concern for your situation....as is mine....i use my old skilter filter(hob) as a particle grabber and place to hold my chemi-pure pouch....and also this filter also gets my dripped kalk...alll in a pursuit to keep things stable in the 20 gallon tank.

Bryan

Well, keeping nitrate down in my regular tank is a problem. The nano isn't started yet, and I'm hoping very much to avoid having such a problem in it.

I had a skilter many, many years ago until it broke on me.

I was thinking perhaps I could put in this chinsy airstone skimmer in the nano... I had to cut part of it off to make it short enough for it, which may have made it useless.... I won't know until I try using it; if I do an in-tank sump, I can put it in there.