Help me pick my equipments

bk_market

I have a 120g system

90g reef and 30g sump.

I'll probably have medium stock on sps first then will go heavy later

what skimmer do you guys recommend? I want something that can go in tank and doesnt have too big foot print. Also something that is quite because the system is in the bedroom. Also not a super expensive skimmer just something decent

I considering ASM G3, Octopus NW200 What do you guys think? Any other choice?

Also I dont know what pump to use for my return. I have a 90g with one corner overflow what pump should i use for return? i also need a as quite as possible but still not super expensive top of the line.

I currently have 2x 250w DE MH retro ready to go.

I need something like T5 or VHO supplement. My tank is 48" long any suggestion? What should i buy? what brand? and where can i geta good deal?

For moonlight any suggestion?

Thanx much in advance

Hung

first, unless you will have no rock or sand or anything other then just water , you will not have a 120g system. You will have to measure how much water is displaced once things are added the tank....sand, rocks, equipment, etc.

Next, all I can speak to is the equipment I have on my 90 w/ 30 sump

Octopus NW150 recirc (in sump)

Ehiem 1262 return pump (in sump)

HOB DIY fuge (36" x 18" x 4.5")

moved to tunze 6080 and nano-streams to cut down on heat from powerheads.

as for lights, I run 2 MH 250w Hamilton 14k and 2 48" 54w T5 actinics via a simple workhorse 5 ballast. Again, trying to limit heat given off from equipment.

I do not run moonlights...yet...plan on getting the moonlights the connect into my aquacontroller but not this month

look on reef central for ideas and product reviews.....then shop around for the best price.

first, unless you will have no rock or sand or anything other then just water , you will not have a 120g system. You will have to measure how much water is displaced once things are added the tank....sand, rocks, equipment, etc.

Next, all I can speak to is the equipment I have on my 90 w/ 30 sump

Octopus NW150 recirc (in sump)

Ehiem 1262 return pump (in sump)

HOB DIY fuge (36" x 18" x 4.5")

moved to tunze 6080 and nano-streams to cut down on heat from powerheads.

as for lights, I run 2 MH 250w Hamilton 14k and 2 48" 54w T5 actinics via a simple workhorse 5 ballast. Again, trying to limit heat given off from equipment.

I do not run moonlights...yet...plan on getting the moonlights the connect into my aquacontroller but not this month

look on reef central for ideas and product reviews.....then shop around for the best price.

i agree on the return pump (1262 rocks), and both those skimmers are great, just make sure they recirc. that really helps with efficiency.

i have a 48" VHO x2 bulbs retro if you would like... i thought about offering that to ya the other day when you got the tank, but you seemed set on t5s. bulbs only have about 20 hours on them.

but still not super expensive top of the line.

:lol:

I completely understand how you feel but this statement is a contradiction. The best way I have found to save cash and buy semi top of the line would be to surf the for sale forums on RC and here... Either way if you want the best your gonna have to pay for it...

For the skimmer you really don't need a recerc model, many people have successful reef setups that don't use them. So with that said if you tight on cash you really don't have to only look at those models, for example a Euro-Reef RS80 skimmer used will run you about $180 on average on RC and they are a great skimmer with a small foot print. The retro T-5 lighting I would go with TEK only because you can get a great deal on them from a very awesome WAMAS member, and they are a great light to boot. As for the main return pump I have had great success with the Mag series pumps and used silicone to make them run quiet. The rest would be trial and error your your particular setup but I'm sure finding the right setup for a fuge or wave making won't be that difficult. Just my $.02

Guest JasonD

I have a Tunze 9010. Great skimmer, VERY small footprint and super quiet.

Unfortunately, great skimmer and good price do not go together. You gotta pay for the best stuff.

im also thinking about getting a calcium reactor.

For a complete set of decent aclcium reactor how much $ different we are talking about compare to a kalk set? any website where i can find more information on this?

You can get a brand new Euroreef RS80 from Marine Depot for ~ $180. Its made of extruded acrylic so the manufacturing costs are lower, so the end price is lower. I have one in my sump and is of great quality. I would also second the Tunze 9010, I almost bought one but decided to try the Euroreef first. The Tunze is around $300 though, but I have heard nothing but good things about it and I rarely see a used one for sale. Which says alot about how much people like them.

Which member are you talking about?

i think he's talking about BRK, but they're comparable to everywhere else on the prices. i haven't seen any t5 retros up lately that are used.

Edited by Charlie97L

i think he's talking about BRK, but they're comparable to everywhere else on the prices. i haven't seen any t5 retros up lately that are used.

Jason is selling his T-5 retro's right now...

for a standard 90g with over corner overflow, how much water is going through it?

IS the eheim 1262 too much should i go with eheim 1260 instead? also is it bad to put a pump that is rated more than my overflow? Thanx

for a standard 90g with over corner overflow, how much water is going through it?

IS the eheim 1262 too much should i go with eheim 1260 instead? also is it bad to put a pump that is rated more than my overflow? Thanx

you can always place a gate valve in the return line to pipe down the flow if it is too much....

Great, i should go with eheim 1626 then. i was afraid it will clog the pump if i limit the water that is pumping out.

Also another question about closed loop. As i understand it just to use an external pump to pump water from an extra hole drilled on the tank up the tank as extra powerheads right?

And the return from this external pump is up to me to design how i want to design ? I was going to go a T so it come back up to the middle of the tank where the center brace is and spray 2 ways. Is this okay?