I need a good lubricant

I'm going to be employing a mag 24 running externally as a closed loop pump and want to make sure the pump has a nice tight seal, the mag isn't more than 2 years old I'm just being cautious. What will do the trick?

I'm going to be employing a mag 24 running externally as a closed loop pump and want to make sure the pump has a nice tight seal, the mag isn't more than 2 years old I'm just being cautious. What will do the trick?

Diver's silicone?

Slightly OT, I just thought of a tip to quiet this pump down if noise becomes an issue: submerge it.

Line the inside of a bucket with bubble wrap, foam, or some other inert vibration-absorbing material. Fill the bucket with water. Submerge the pump in the bucket, stick the bucket under or behind your stand and plumb it into your closed loop from there.

OK, so that was completely off-topic. Shoot me. :biggrin:

Edited by Rascal

Use silicone sealer. I have tried various lubricants, including silicone stopcock grease (just like diver's silicone) but Mags are difficult to keep sealed after a while. Sealing with silicone sealer is not elegant, but it's safe.

Is it really that bad with mags? It the bucket idea sounds interesting... also it may help to disapate heat... would it not? it would be awkward to get to the ball valves and unions but do able. I may seal the pump then drop it in water anyways. I could also put a fan over the water which would provide extra cooling due to evap. It could be topped off every once in a while. and if it's not topped off ... oh well Right? Thoughts on this?

I would also imagine between the water in the bucket and the foam rubber or bubble wrap or what ever I'd have a pretty darn quiet mag pump... can we get some thoughts on this?

I am personally not into the idea. I think the idea is creative, that being said tanks get complex as it is. Having all the wires and then a bucket that you have to fill up and styrafoam just dosnt seem like an idea that I would go for.

I think your best bet would be to sell the mag24 and use the money to buy an external pump. This is what they are designed for and I just think you would save your self many future discussion threads on how to solve problems associated from using the mag for something it really isnt as good at.

The MAG pumps are quiet but they tend to cause vibrations that transfer to the stand and to the rigid plumbing. Since my tank is built in-wall, the vibrations travelled through the walls and could be heard two floors up. Placing some foam rubber or other soft material under the pump helped a lot. I used a short section of thick rubber hose on the return plumbing close to the pump to dampen the vibrations. Now it's hard to even tell that the pump is running.

MAG -> bushings and fittings adapted to 2" PVC -> 2" FPT -> 2" hose barb -> 2" reinforced rubber tubing -> 2" hose barb and rest of rigid plumbing to the UV & tank

KY? :biggrin: I HAD TO SORRY! I WAITED LONG ENOUGH FOR CHIP TO CHIME IN

Edited by phisigs79

You can buy Silicon grease from a hardware store. Some aquarium stores might have it too. You'd want to reapply to the o-ring each time you clean the pump. To coat the outside with silicon sealer means you can't open the pump easily to do maintenance.

Trust me, silicone grease will ultimately fail.

In the end, I'm with dschflier. Get a decent external pump.