Aqua C Remora

squiddly

I have an Aqua C Remora on an Aquapod 24. It is not creating bubbles high enough to push anything into the collection cup. I replaced the pump in case that was the issue, cleaned the thing from top to bottom, and have the collection cup at its lowest possible setting. Does anyone have any idea as to why it wouldn't be working properly? Salinity level is 1.026 so that's not the problem. All I can say is *argh*

Guest NSC

Sounds like one of your baffles might be broken, remove the collection cup to see if the baffles are in place correctly. You said you cleaned it, so I doubt its the spray mechanism...did you clean through the set screw? Another possibility.

Check to see if the input nozzle is clean. Probably unscrews and may have junk stuck in there.

Yeah, i did that.... no junk.

Sounds like one of your baffles might be broken, remove the collection cup to see if the baffles are in place correctly. You said you cleaned it, so I doubt its the spray mechanism...did you clean through the set screw? Another possibility.

Checked the baffles against the diagram in the manual. All was well. Cleaned around the set screw but left it alone.

Guest NSC

I don't know anything about seahorses but if your signature is right then maybe at the moment their isn't anything to skim??? I am clueless if everything else is in order, I have a Remora Pro and the only instances it won't skim is after feeding and any time i put my hand in the tank, and if I put the collection cup all the way down it pulls water. :why:

Oh, there's plenty to skim, trust me :-). It's all over the place. It's driving me nuts. Seahorses are quite the mess creators, as are the gobis that also share the tank with them.

We've got an Aqua C remora on our tank.

Is the thing brand new? If so, it will need to break in (manufacturing oils in/on the pump that will go away in time, or could be spead up by soaking the pump in vinegar solution prior to using it). Also, if it's not new, anything new you may have added to the tank. I added another pump to increase flow and stupidly didn't soak the new one in a vinegar solution and had to wait 2 weeks before the bubbles started climbing up the tube into the collection cup.

Guest NSC

Excellent point! When new it took some time for it to skim, but it puked microbubbles to no end. But after it broke in...pungent nastiness....eeewww. With the new pump it might need another break in period.

We've got an Aqua C remora on our tank.

Is the thing brand new? If so, it will need to break in (manufacturing oils in/on the pump that will go away in time, or could be spead up by soaking the pump in vinegar solution prior to using it). Also, if it's not new, anything new you may have added to the tank. I added another pump to increase flow and stupidly didn't soak the new one in a vinegar solution and had to wait 2 weeks before the bubbles started climbing up the tube into the collection cup.

Thought about that, but it isn't a new unit, and the pump I put on it was only new to it..... it had been running on something else and I swapped it out.

Still, I'll stay hopeful that the thing just up and starts spewing seahorse pooh into its little cup ASAP :-).

Could some of you Remora experts talk about the little plastic screw? Mine isn't quite doing the job I think it's capable of, either. Should be screw be removed for cleaning? If so - how do you adjust it when you put it back in - max bubbles?

bob

I remove the screw every week and use the pipe cleaner brush thingy that came with the unit to clean the pipe leading into the skimmer and the part to the pump. I then put the screw back in (the top is as flush to the pipe/tube as possible).

The cleaning procedure should keep it free of algae or any salt creep that might form. It's also advised that the whole thing get a proper cleaning (incl. the pump) every 6 months or so.

Also, be aware that putting your hands in the water and feedings usually will reduce the number of bubbles being produced for a short time.

I skim wet, so my collection cup doesn't have the same unholy color as some other skimmers do on larger systems (mine is running on a 35 gallon hex), but the "aweful tea" that ends up in the collection cup of my skimmer is no bunch of roses either....

:cheers: