monti cap not coloring up

modelrr

I've been trying to get my green monti cap to color up for a month or two now, but it just won't

I got it as a (very large) frag from this colony but it is a brown/olive green color instead of the nice green of the colony

as you can see in the picture in my signature, it's high up in the tank, but should it be higher? Would adding calcium (I haven't been dosing calcium yet, but I have some coming in the mail now) and more flow also help with color?

oh and my light is a 6x54w T5 w/2x 6500k, 2x aquablue +, 1x actinic +, 1x super actinic

Well, what is your calcium and alk testing at now? I would suggest testing ALL of your water paramaters to ensure they are in a good range. Are you running a kalk reactor? Adding a kalk reactor should be your first step if your calcium is testing low.

(edited)

I'll test them this morning

Are you running a kalk reactor? Adding a kalk reactor should be your first step if your calcium is testing low.
no .. and can't afford one any time soon Edited by modelrr

If low on cash, you can also use two-part to get the Ca and Alk where they should be.

David

(edited)

calcium is ~315-330ppm

nitrates are <.1

and I don't have a good alkalinity test kit yet ... next time I get a chance, I'll get myself some salifert test kits for alk and a couple others

Edited by modelrr

CA should be higher than 350 ppm. Need more Ca but alk should also be increased to help keep dissolved.

B-ionic is a TWO-part system for raising ALK and Calcium. With money an issue - you might be better off mixing your own. There are recipes all over the web for DIY 2-part and 3-part additives. I know that GRAV mixes his own - in quantity.

Test kits are expensive - but generally speaking, if you have a good relationship with a local reef store - they will run a set of tests for you once in a while. Take in a cup or two of water (freshly scooped).

On the original problem. Lighting has a lot to do with color in monti caps - and a lot to do with growth. Generally speaking they don't need a TON of light; they will survive and grow halfway down the tank. Very frequently, corals will 'brown up' when you move them from one tank to another. It can take days, weeks, or even months for them to become acclimated to the conditions of your tank. If the monti was previously living halfway down in a tank, or more - and you put it up HIGH, with much higher PAR - it can even kill the thing. I know - killed my favorite early monti cap frag with 'too much loving'; I gave it the prized position high up under my MH light - it grew like crazy for a couple of weeks, then just bombed.

There is no 'exact science' in this hobby. Just give them good light, good flow, good water - and cross your fingers!

bob