Seeding Live rock

Guest climbnhigh

Guest climbnhigh

I have about 12 pieces of what used to be live rock. What is the best way to induce inverts back onto the rocks? Would live sand be my best bet? Or buying more peices of live rock that is already thriving?

I would post in the WTB/For Sale forum and ask if anyone is willing to give you a cup of sand or if you could by a nice piece of mature LR to put in your system. Just be wary of the transport from one place to another (no sense on paying for hitch hikers when they come to your house dead).

:cheers:

I have about 12 pieces of what used to be live rock. What is the best way to induce inverts back onto the rocks? Would live sand be my best bet? Or buying more peices of live rock that is already thriving?

And you should update the 'location' information in your profile, so we know where you are.

bob

For maximum critter import, a few 3-5# pieces of uncured live rock from different LFS's. Ask them to put it in a bag w/ water for you instead of packing with wet newspaper like usual. Adding uncured live rock will cause a nutrient spike, so have a good skimmer and be prepared for some water changes, but for adding diversity to your tank and seeding the rock that you have, there's nothing better IMO.

Can you put your live rock into a friends aquarium for a month? If so, do it.