Why can't they get a long

Boxxr

My tank-mates all seemed to get along until recently. I added a Copper-band Butterfly on Thursday and the Naso Blond Tang and the Bi-Color will not leave it alone. I have reduced the light to about 3 hours a day, but that has not helped too much.

Fortunately, the butterfly is eating, not much though. I have seen him eat pellets and pods. He hangs out in the top left of the tank and only moves occasionally. This is the first time that the current fish have displayed any hostility to others. I am at loss what else to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest Bemmer

Sometimes it can take a few days for the fish to "settle down". However, since CB's are finicky eaters in general, you do want to watch to be sure it is getting enough to eat. You can go several days without lights without adverse effects to your corals or fish so that is an option too. Or you could try doing some re-aquascaping to create a more neutral territory for all the fish. Some more established fish have their territories that they protect so by rearranging the LR that changes things for everyone. Also, it is best to add a new fish at night after the lights have gone out. Not sure if you did that.

Good luck.

Copperbands can be very finicky and in a situation where they are being harassed not fair very well.

I would recommend removing and getting rid of the copper band unless things settle down quickly.

Dave

Thanks all for you comments. A few answers. No I did not add the CB at night. The CB is eating a few pellets, but is eating pods ( i forget the manufacturer) quite a bit. I didn't turn the lights on at all today. Right now the CB is moving about the whole tank. That's the first time that I've seen him do that. The two offenders are a 7" in naso tang and 3" bi color. the Bi color could fit in the sump, but the naso would have a hard time in there.

Question, how long should I try and get the tank-mates get along before I throw in the towel and remove the CB?

Don't talk about fight club....

flowerseller has what I think is the best solution, just make sure they won't get hurt in there