RO/DI plumbing help

bk_market

I purchased a RO/DI filter from Aquasafe. It come with a Saddle-piercing valve as seen here

http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_install.html

Anyway I dont think they allow me to pierce the water pipe in my building (im living in an apt) so what other way do i get the water into the filter? Is it possible to hook it up to take water from water output in the sink? Thanx

I purchased a RO/DI filter from Aquasafe. It come with a Saddle-piercing valve as seen here

http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_install.html

Anyway I dont think they allow me to pierce the water pipe in my building (im living in an apt) so what other way do i get the water into the filter? Is it possible to hook it up to take water from water output in the sink? Thanx

There are adapters that let you hook the filter's input directly to the faucet -- screw them on when you want to run the filter, screw them off when you're done and want to use the faucet again (for cleaning dishes, etc.). The obvious downside to this is you can't use the filter at the same time you need the sink, so it's a bit of a pain. If it were me, I'd probably put the saddle valve on the pipe anyway. When you leave, you just close the valve. Nobody will ever notice (assuming the valve doesn't leak).

Nice site! How cool is that dual inline TDS meter?

I got one of them dual tds as well, I love it to see what TDS is going in and out - did water change last night and unit was running to make more RO/DI - it was something like 170 in before RO filters and 0 coming out of DI.

Note, I do use spectrapure for my DI cartridges. Found for me spectrapure DI lasts longer than the aquafx ones. But that is just my opinion & experience.

While it's interesting to see what the TDS of raw input water is, dual TDS meters are normally installed on the output sides of the RO membrane and DI chamber. This allows you to track when it's time to replace the membrane and/or resin. If you hook it up to register raw input water and final RO/DI water, the only way you will know that the RO membrane is exhausted is that the DI resin will need to be replaced more often.

Or you can be really OCD about it and get 2 dual TDS meters:

Prefilters -->TDS(1)-->RO membrane -->TDS(2)-->DI #1--> TDS(3)-->DI#2--> TDS(4)

BkMarket:

I have one of those little faucet adapters that I don't use anymore. You are welcome to it if you want it. Might be a little bit of a haul for you just to save a few bucks, but the offer is there if you're interested. LMK

BTW - I bought mine at Marine Scene. It wasn't on the shelf, but when I asked about it they went into the back and found one for me.

Good point YB, the raw value is really trivia after the first couple of times.

You can also simply buy an adapter and screw it on after the shut off valve for the water under your sink. It's a simple brass T and you can screw it onto the valve and then put the plumbing back on. If you really want, you can also replace it with a dual outlet valve (they are not welded) or even replace your valve with a T that leads into two valves so you have separate outputs (you could also simply put a John Guest valve on their as well).

Other than that, I agree with simply piercing the valve. They won't know the difference and it's no different from adding on an ice maker or something similar.