caulerpa "going sexual"

treesprite

i put this stuff in the tank last week - today I came home and... what a mess

I can't do a water change yet due to my injury - is it going to be ok waiting 5 or 6 days?

can chaeto do this? Something happened right after lights out (10pm) on Sunday and my skimmer went insane until the next morning.

No chaeto cannot. How do you know it went asexual?

came home and the water was an absolute mess, and the caulerpa has white area and the fuzzy things. I dont know what else would put all that stuff in the water. This morning there were little green specks on things.

have a picture?

(edited)

when the calurpa goes asexual- It generally melts down completely in 48 hours or so- It goes completely white at first and then just dissolves- that relases all the nutrients it had tied up- Heavy skimming and water changes help- Your question on whether you can wait depends on what inhabitants you have - If they are sps or clams and it was lot of calurpa per tank volume you might well lose them- But for most fish ect I would think as long as the O2 levels stay up they will survive. Drop a bag of activated charcoal into the sump high flow area if you do not have time to make water. You can also slightly lower the saliniy which keeps the O2 levels higher, depending again on what you are keeping.

Edited by Lee Stearns

(edited)

There are no corals in the tank right now. It's a 45g with 2 clowns, a damsel, a brittle star, snails, and crabs.

The stuff had to deal with 3 big lighting changes in less than 2 weeks. First it went from the lighting of its source to my lighting, which at the time was T-12/T-8. Right after I got the macros, I replaced the T-12/T-8 bulbs I had because the others were a bit over a year old, then Tuesday of this week I changed the lighting to T-5s (a Nova Extreme fixture), which is a huge increase in watts and intensity. I'm doing 12h/12h.

The only reason the stuff is in the tank is that the opportunity to obtain marcros happened before I could finish my fuge project, and then the project got delayed due to an injury.

Edited by treesprite

I am pretty sure that I have read that macro like calurpa needs to be lit 24x7 so that it doesn't go sexual, and that chaeto benefits from a night period, which is why I decided against calurpa. Tons of info on this on RC.

Actually I read around a lot about it - a little bit before this happened hence I was able to consider it when discovering a problem, then a whole lot more after discovering the problem.

Supposedly caulerpa is fine if kept trimmed back. I need to find some "pretty" macros that don't need a guardian.