need help

Guest Maynard

Guest Maynard

hey guys....im new to this reef hobby....i just recently started up my tank...and im in the cycling process....my tank is so filthy now...my Live rock have thos reddish, Brownish slime on the rock? how can i take it out? could it be phosphates?

hey guys....im new to this reef hobby....i just recently started up my tank...and im in the cycling process....my tank is so filthy now...my Live rock have thos reddish, Brownish slime on the rock? how can i take it out? could it be phosphates?

Relax, this sounds about right for a fresh cycle of a tank. Your best bet is to increase water flow (add a couple of powerheads to prevent deadzones) increasing the water flow will also prevent cyano (red slime) from growing. While you are cycling try reducing the amount of time your main lights are on (I cut my light time from 8 to 4 for 2 weeks when I first start a tank). If you have a protein skimmer run it 24/7 if you don't have one I highly suggest getting one. By just doing those 3 things you can make it through the cycle phase without too much stress of a ugly tank but keep in mind you will have algae blooms but the key is to minimize the fuel in which algae needs to grow.

Yes you can siphon off the brown algae off the rocks, I have used a powerhead to blow it off the rocks and then a turkey blaster to get the out of the tank. Phosphates play a major role to growth of algae, you can run carbon and phosaban combo in a media filter to help reduce phosphates and polish the water.

Well then again this is IMHO, good luck...

BTW Welcome to WAMAS!!

:bb:

I don't know about 'slime', are you using RO\DI water? Mexican turbo snails love brown algae - do you have a cleanup crew?

Welcome to WAMAS! :)

It's hard to see in the thumbnail photos but it does appear to be diatoms and maybe cyano and the recommendations above are on the mark. This is a normal phase for new tanks and is all but unavoidable. Use of RO/DI water, minimize lighting (no artificial lighting is really required at this point unless you have corals or macroalgae), increase flow, good skimming and partial water changes, then wait for it to pass.

You might consider adding your location to your profile so people will know where you live. There are probably several reefers in your area that would be glad to look at your setup and offer advice.

Does it smell like boston harbor in the house yet?

My first tank went through a 'normal' cycle - for about 6 weeks. At one point my daughter threatened to move in with her mother, and the indoor cat wanted outdoors.

And then one day all the algae died, and the water cleared, and I had a reef tank. And it was worth it.

bob

Welcome to the hobby! Here are my thoughts for an action plan when you start up. Some of this you've clearly already done :) This is boilerplate -- I've given it to friends/co-workers who have been interested in the hobby.

Step 1: Buy some books

Step 2: Read the books

Step 3: Figure out what you think you want

Step 4: Join WAMAS

Step 5: Ask everyone else what they think

Step 6: Do it

WAMAS info:

Join WAMAS when you're approaching being in the market for things. There's a buy/sell/trade forum with good deals. Is an excellent source of information and free stuff when you're just starting out. http://www.wamas.org.

Resources (books):

...to get started, and typical timelines for when they'll be useful (note this is a list of books relating to creating aquariums predominately to house corals. If you're thinking fish only, different books may come into play):

* The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Paperback)

* The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Michael S. Paletta, Edward Kadunc, Scott W. Michael, and John Goodman (Paperback - May 1999)

At least 1 year later:

* Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman and J. E. N. Veron (Paperback - April 2001)

* Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility by anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner (Paperback - Jun 2003)

* Algae: A Problem Solver Guide (Oceanographic Series) by Julian Sprung (Paperback - Jun 25, 2002)

* Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman (Hardcover - Mar 2001)

A year or so later:

* The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volumes 1-3) by J. Charles Delbeek, Julian Sprung, and Charles Delbeek (Hardcover - Jul 1994)

Another year later:

* The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, Volumes 1-4 by Svein A. and Alf Jacob Nilsen Fossa (Hardcover - 1996)