Frag Tank Fish

emissary

I'd like to get a fish for my frag tank. Originally I was thinking a porc puffer, but it looks like those guys will grow out of that tank readily. I then though perhaps a Marine Betta. Thoughts? Any other good candidates for a 30G frag tank? I was leaning towards something that's not safe to put with snails and shrimp and such since I have those inverts in my display tank...

I'd like to get a fish for my frag tank. Originally I was thinking a porc puffer, but it looks like those guys will grow out of that tank readily. I then though perhaps a Marine Betta. Thoughts? Any other good candidates for a 30G frag tank? I was leaning towards something that's not safe to put with snails and shrimp and such since I have those inverts in my display tank...

I've seen a lot of people putting algae-eaters in their frag tanks. So they don't have to have big snails knocking their frags over.

bob

What would be good algae eaters? I thought about maybe getting a Kole but he'll get annoyed by the small tank eventually I think. We're talking 30G breeder here.

I have an army of snails in there right now and I haven't had much in the way of knocked over frags. Plus I look at my frag tank every day so I right anything that's wrong. Easy to find fallen frags in such a controlled environment.

Get yourself a nice blenny and a 6 line wrasse. That way you'll get rid of some algae and also have the 6 line in there to pick off any flatworms you may get into the system by accident.

Too late to get rid of flatworms :) I have a six line in the main tank. Not doing a thing for me. I was hoping for something more interesting than a blenny/goby whatev.

Sounds like you're not actually going to have a frag tank anymore, it's more of a smaller reef! With that said - Lionfish!

They don't move around much and hence don't need as much room. Also, if you have a frag tray in there, they may hang out upside down beneath it. Of course, this will make reaching into the tank interesting when you want to grab a frag or do some maintenance, but these are awesome fish and will really spice things up for you.

You may also want to get something that is a live breeder as well, but make sure it's not a burrower or you may find your frags piled up... Maybe some type of cardinal fish as they breed readily and will appreciate the lack of any other fish in your system (mouth brooders). You could also do something like sea horses in there, although they may interfere with your frag growth by hitching to things (pipefish might be better if you like the sea horse idea).

Hmmm... I'll think about other ideas as well, but I have to keep on reminding myself that you don't want anything that will eat corals, especially bite size frags!

Go with a wrasse... that would be my choice... the fairy family has some great fish that would do fine in a 30...

Or go with the pipes like the ones I got... they are doing great and are very active and great additions (and very colorful).

Dave

Or go with the pipes like the ones I got... they are doing great and are very active and great additions (and very colorful).

Really, you can keep pipefish in a frag tank? I thought they had non-trivial feeding requirements best served by a low-population crustacean heavy environment. Ok, I admit, I know nothing about them. I'll go read up.

Yanek

I have to disagree with everyone so far except like. The idea about the SixLine for the Flatworms, BUT!

My 30g Frag tank has

-Yellow Eye Kole - Wanted an Algae Eater which to me would be Priority #1 with a BB tank. But mine doesn't do a lot that I like but holds his own in the tank.

-B/W Heniochus Diphreuties- Beautiful but was in there getting big enough for the main tank and will be exported out after my move coming up soon to the 90g.

-Sailfin Tang-IMO one step below the Kole for maintenance eater.

-Court Jester Goby (Ranfordi)- great pod eater but quickly eliminates his food source so he went into the main tank today! Was getting thin!

IMHO, I would look at an Algae Eater crew like:

Powder Blue Tang

Yellow Tang

Scopas Tang

Powder Brown Tang

Yellow Eye Kole -I'll give him a second chance! :)

Foxface

Cerith Snails

Margarita Snails

Emerald crab for bubble algae

Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptasia