Grey sponge

Tom C.

I got that grey ickey looking sponge that is starting to sprout everywhere. Who and what will eat it? Doc, I need the cure! Its starting to push my zoa's off of rocks.

tagging along - I got one too in my pallys. Advice I got was that contact with air kills them - didn't change much for me, I just pruned it this afternoon. :cry:

I got that grey ickey looking sponge that is starting to sprout everywhere. Who and what will eat it? Doc, I need the cure! Its starting to push my zoa's off of rocks.

These the loooong skinny ones? I have a mushroom rock with a bunch of them on it - kind of cool looking, but I was just thinking today I needed to clean it up a bit. 1-2 is nice, 5-6 is annoying. No idea how to get rid of them other than to cut/scrape them off.

bob

The longest I ever let it go is in this FTS, lower right in the pallys, and it looked pretty cool but was building up a lot of mass at the base, and curling around some of the larger stalks. I would like to have it gone.

IMGP9734.jpg

jp

Yeah, I have a 6 inch rock covered in zoa's. Now you can see the sponge growing between the polyps. Also, it is growing on the shell of one of my clams. So I dont know how long I can have the sponge airborn before I start effecting the clams and zoa's. Anyone?

i have that crap all over my tank and it has bleached one of my SPS unless i peel it off. It grows too fast though

Zoas can be out of the water for a while during low tide, I don't think you can kill them. My pally rock was out about 30 minutes while I picked and fragged at it. The problem is that the sponge becomes invisible and clings to the rock when out of the water so I had no clue if I was getting it or not.

I know how I can fix this:

1. Distract the wife while I spend another $100 on LR.

2. Pull out that big pally rock and shatter it into smaller pieces I can manage.

3. Pick apart or toss the ones that have the sponge on them.

4. Fill in the aquascaping with the new LR!

jp