I need help

davjbeas

Hello,

I have an aquamedic 48" ocean light. dual 250watt MH with dual t5 actinics. about a year and a half old.

Is there anywhere I can take it do get diagnosed an repaired?

I was working on it today replaceing 1 of the bulb fixtures because of corrosion. I got it reassembled, tested it, the bulbes all lit up. so i hung it back over my tank. not an hour later something went pop and my curcuit breaker tripped. I have to work 10am to 9pm tommorrow so i cant have it go pop tommorrow all the circulation will stop. I will take the lights offline for thursday. I paid $800 for this unit and I don't see the sense in buying a new one. Is there anyone who can fix this unit?

Thanks,

David B.

David,

I have unit that has 2 175 W MH lights, if you would like to use them while you get your lights fixed you are welcome to use them. LMK - if you would like more details

Carla

Hi Dave, if it went "pop", as a pathetic amateur electrician, I'd say that you possibly had a wire arc and burn out. If you can open it up and take a look for any charring, I'd say that's where to start. If you do have charring somewhere and a wire did arc, you'd need to look to the cause. At this point I'd say contact an electrician. Maybe Tony Gallo can be of help? Replacing a part that's bad is one thing, not knowing what caused the problem in the first place is something else altogether. I can recall wiring that has burned out making a popping noise. Worst case scenario, if you find a source and the ballasts are independent of each other, maybe disconnect the one for the time being?

The pop is mostly coming from the breaker box when the breaker kicks.

I can't be sure if its the balast or the bulb. i have it narrowed down to the MH bulb on the right side.

I am trying to run the lights with only the t5 actinics and the left MH bulb for now.

I don't mind paying if there is a place I can take it to be diagnosed and repaired. I spent a lot of time yesterday on this unit (dissasemble and switch out the bulb base) so at this point I would rather someone with experience check it out.

David B.

:why: