lighting

wirick21

if im not mistaken HQI is more compact. i have sockets myself and it adds about 3-4" to the space it takes up. of course my setup is retro so its kinda ugly

46lights1.JPG

I use both of them.  HQI more compact, less bulb options (though this is changing), and need more expensive ballast (though not that much difference unless you do a total DIY).  Commercial fixture for the lamp a lot more as well.  Both get the job done.  In some ways retro fitting a mogul bulb is a little easier, but again, if you want a bunch of fluor lamps with it, then space becomes a factor.

Guest maestro774
What about heat? Is there a noticeable difference between the two?

Probably not much difference.  A 250 Watt heater is a 250 watt heater, no matter how you look at it.  Heat is more concentrated with the HQI, and might dissapate easier with the mogul?  Not sure.  One problem with trying to "cool" bulbs themselves is that it can impinge upon optimal performance as they need a certain amount of heat to achieve proper temperature.  

Hqi is more common on open top systems but I suspect it is really a function of the housing.  I have mine mounted in a canopy.  For larger tanks, the lumenarc reflectors on single ended bulbs are the way to go for maximal coverage.  If you look at Sanjay Joshi's articles, some of the figures depict the spread of light.  With increased spread though usually comes some loss in intensity.

You would think 250 watts is 250 watts but with the elctronic ballats that are cool to the touch, I belive the HQI use a reasonably less amount of electircity than the moguls and older ballasts. I am very happy with my two 250 HQI's. I use 10ks for the white light and vho- actininc supplements on a separate timer to achieve dawn and dusk and add more color to the corals. I have not found any coral that has not thrived in this lighting. Some Soft corals some zoos and mushrooms will move to hide a bit under overhangs. I unfortunately walked my way up to this lighting rather than get it in the first place- So I have played with NO-and PC combinations as well, but have no mogul hallide experience. After basic water stability- for corals light has got to be right up there for maintaining them so that they can grow and thrive. Do it correctly the first time and save the hassels.