prop tank

Guest snapper

Guest snapper

I've got a 40 gallon breeder tank set up as my prop tank.

I have a dual 175 watt lighting set-up.  Should I run 10kk ABs or 12kk Sunbursts?

The breeder is about 12" tall, the sand bed is about 4" and the overflow is about 1.5" from the top so about 6.5" of water will cover the frags.

I also thought about using the vho set-up I'm buying from Scott on this tank.

Any suggestions?

Snapper

Did a 6500K bulb come out?  Sunburst have a bad rap from all I've heard.  For a prop system, I'd go for inexpensive, personally- maybe even some 5500K bulbs.  You should have plenty of light over them with the 2 x 175 watt configuration.  Perhaps we can pick Sanjay's brain on bulb coloration and correlation with pigmentation.  Borneman has repeatedly claimed that there is no biological reason that it should make a difference, though I'm not convinced myself.  Likewise with alkalinity.  Personally, I am a big fan of Ushio 10000K bulbs. I wouldn't use the vho's for a grow out, but again, that is just my preference.  OH yeah- I would hang the hood if you can, a couple inches above the tank rim.  Will really cut back on heat.

honestly, I have never used the sunburst bulb.  However, I have read commercial sites (Champ) and several posts by reefers that have had the sunburst bulb blow up.  On our old board - before it crashed, we had a member have a 250w one blow up after a few months of use.

Never hear much about ab or ushio's exploding.

In reading lots of threads of peoples light systems, I'm of the opinion that iswakis give best growth less color.  20k radiums give best color but less growth. I love my 10k ushios; good color and growth.  I just bought 3 250 ab's from TRT during the power-buy and will try them later this year when I switch out my ushio once I get full year or more on them.

Just my .00002

Craig

Guest snapper

Thanks for the info, I also have 10kk ABs I can run, but cheaper 5.5kk or 6.5kk sounds better.

I plan mostly on growing montipora digitata and as many types of capricornis and plating types I can get my hands on.

I also have a nice bali green that will be ready to frag in about 4-5 months.

Any sps frags for sale to get this off the ground would be greatly apprecaited!!!

If I go with lower kelvin bulbs, do I need VHO actinics to round out the spectrum?

Why is it lower kelvin bulbs give better growth?  Is it a PAR thing?

Good idea on capturing Sanjay's thoughts.

I'll wait til after the meeting before I light it.

Snapper

I heard Sanjay speak about a year and a half ago at a CMAS meeting and he stated that with a 6500K bulb it is balanced in many colors of the spectrum as oposed to a 10000K bulb which has alot of blues but not much else. As the bulb gets older the bulbs spectrum shifts. With the 10000K bulb there is no other color for the bulb to shift to that is a usable lightwave for zooxanthellae. A 6500K bulb will shift from the blue and the coral can adapt to the other colors that are still present. I think I got that right :)

George

I am in the process of setting up a 40g breeder as a prop tank.  It will be lit with a single 400w 6500k.  I have a CSL pendant fixture that has 2 36w pc's in it but I have not decided if I will use them, just depends on how things look.

I have radiums over my display tank and while the coloration of the corals is nice, growth seems a little slow.

Personally, if I went for a lower K bulb, I'd supplement with the VHO or PC actinics.  Even though it's a grow-out tank, I like to see the full-glory of the corals.

BTW, the dimensions of an AGA 40-Br is 36x18x16; is yours really only 12" tall.

Guest snapper

Larry,

It's probably 16" high, I was estimating from memory while writing from work.  

Do you see any problems with a "shallow" water column over the prop tank?  (6-8")

If lower Kelvin bulbs are better for growth, could I get away with less than 5kk?  Like some of the MHs you can get at Home Depot?

I havn't done this but I'm sure you've also seen tanks where the corals are right at the waters surface directly under intense light.  I've also seen prop tanks that are only 8" deep.  If you're talking about those 3000k and 4000k bulbs, sounds like a question for this weekend's discussion.

You will get the most bang for you buck with the Iwasaki 6500K lamps.  The 10KK AB lamps will give you the best color.

-Tom

Snapper,

I think going any lower then 5KK whould have the same effect as going with the higher kelvin bulbs.  There just isn't enough balanced red and blue.  You can get Venture 5.5kk pretty cheap.  Although the hydroponics guys like the lower kelvin and go for warmer bulbs around 3KK.  I have a new Sylvania 175 mogul you can try and see if it has any impact on growth.

Maybe do an experiment for the club.  :D

Guest snapper

Yeah, I like the idea of trying a lower kelvin bulb ($$$) for a prop tank where you're not really concerned about appearances.  But, I wonder if the lower kelvin equates to browner, less colorful growth, as opposed to 20kk radiums?

Prev, thanks for the offer, if you're not going to use the bulb, I'll give it a whirl and see.

Thanks all, snapper

BTW, John Nguyen sold me an eye-watering purple monti cap frag, oh my.  He's going to bring some to the meeting if there is enough interest.  He posted on RDO, but if you're interested, post here and I'll pass it on  :p

I suspect he would sell whatever he brings. I would probably want one myself (unless it is like $100- need to get that new tank this month).

I have used 10K Ushios on prop tanks in the past, along with the 6500Ks, and even PCs. It has been a while since I had some prop/frag tanks running, so this week I am setting up a new rack with six 33 long tanks (12" tall). On one I will use 2 x 10K 175 Ushios, on another 2 x 6500K Iwasakis, on another 2 x 96 watt pcs. Still think what to put on the other three, but can't wait to hear what Sanjay says at this weeks meeting, which will be my first! If anyone is interested in selling small, medium, or large frags, I am looking to buy! If you would like, you can even contact me prior to make arrangements at watson@aquariausa.com

Thanks for the motivation to set up another prop rack!

I did get 35 frags last week for one system, and all but the capricornus (2 of 5 doa) are open and growing already!