BTA vs SPS or Shroom?

'Ric

Will Bubble Tip Anemones sting/hurt corals? Where I would like to put one is within tentacle reach of a nice muchroom and coral. It may not stay put, either. Is this something to worry about?

Also, are BTA's known to knock things over or move stuff around?

I have a small Helfrichi's Firefish - would he be at risk from the BTA?

'Ric

BTAs and mushrooms generally wage a long low damage war on each other, both tend to recover once they are relocated.

BTAs and coral are hit and miss, BTAs win in my experience.

BTAs are not big fish eaters and I don't recall any of mine capturing a healthy fish. They will be able to eat weak, sick and dead fish.

I try not to mix anemones and coral, too many occasions for "it was fine for so long and then just wandered all over the place stinging things."

Good luck.

I just bought a gbta and it has not moved at all in my tank. I put him in the same spot he was in the tank I bought him from and I guess that works. To add to the question what about soft corals?? will they sting those cause I just put a frag of colt coral about 4 inches away from my bta

I just bought a gbta and it has not moved at all in my tank. I put him in the same spot he was in the tank I bought him from and I guess that works. To add to the question what about soft corals?? will they sting those cause I just put a frag of colt coral about 4 inches away from my bta

Some softies excrete protective chemicals, BTAs may sting anything that has the right make up to discharge a nematocyst.

4" from a BTA? Mine would grow to fill that space in approx 60 days. Not to mention, as lighting degrades, BTAs tend to extend greater distances. A softball sized BTA can easily extend a column 6-8" from a rocky cave.

I moved the other coral before anything happened, thanks! Although I'm amazed that yours grow at such a fast rate, what are you feeding them?

I moved the other coral before anything happened, thanks! Although I'm amazed that yours grow at such a fast rate, what are you feeding them?

Lancefish and whatever mysis they can catch. Some of the less reef friendly parameters: measureable nitrates always available, moderate flow, well adapted to metal halide lighting, and gentle clowns.

gonna work on making a few adjustments

• 2 weeks later...

If you stop by my place you'll see the two GBTAs I have. They are descendant from the same single GBTA. They've been in the same spot forever and don't move at all (I write this hoping they will now move). They are surrounded by encrusting gorgonia, mushrooms, pulsing xenia and some zoos. So far everybody looks ok. But I'm sure the critters are not "happy" being scrunched together like that, which is why, long term, I plan to sell off the GBTAs. Even in a 90g its just too much for my tank.

I will try to do that at some point.

Now I'm getting concerned that even if I get a small BTA it will out grow my tank. I have a 54g now, but still.

I will try to do that at some point.

Now I'm getting concerned that even if I get a small BTA it will out grow my tank. I have a 54g now, but still.

Since you are just at the beginning stages of your tank I would say that if you really want a BTA then plan for it. It's human nature to buy the things we like so you know your going to end up with one someday :) IMHO a 54 is not going to be too small for a nem and corals and some nice fish just do the research, be patient and you will be fine. Here is a good primer on e. quads:

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/