My skimmer stinks!

mogurnda

Good news: My Euroreef pulls out a lot of stinky stuff from the tank.

Bad news: My considerably better half says our living room smells like a fish store.

When I sniff around in the stand, the culprit is clearly the skimmate.  Adding an "odor sponge" (contents unknown) under the tank has helped a lot, but are there other options?

Guest Leishman

I saw a thread on RC that said if you add Kalk paste to your cleaned out collection cup, it will eliminate the stench as the bacteria can't live in the kalked environment.

I have not tried it, but it's worth a try.  Many people on RC chimed in and said that it realy works well.

Rik

Yeah- i'm going to give that one a try myself.  When I empty the 2 liter bottle collector, it stinks up the whole kitchen/living room area.  For a while I was most impressed with the stench (boosted a lot from ozone), but it has long since gotten old.

Thanks for the tips.

Guest Leishman

I'm cleaning mine tonight so I will give it a go aswell.

Please post results

Guest Tmtplyb

Thank for the post the Kalk help get rid of some funky smell in the room.

Thanks

Guest Leishman
My cup is full.  I will clean it out tonight and take a good sniff of the sludge for an update.

Rik,

I think you ought to consider putting a tap in that cup with a drain into a trough! :)

Howard

Guest Leishman
I replace all skimmate w/fresh made SW.  Lots of 'BUZZ' now about how wet skimming is better for the tank, giving it a try.........