Coral books

Tom C.

Got a couple of questions. As I am slowly but surely being sucked into the quicksand known as "saltwater hobby" I am I think getting the hang of taking care of fish, and actually keeping them alive now. I have bought some corals that are easy to keep (mostly zoa's). Hard corals, I am having trouble keeping alive, but I think its a lighting issue.

1. Is there a book out there that shows hobbists how to care for different types of corals and has pictures to identify different types? How do you tell what a purple people eater is? What is a Tyree? How can you tell the difference between, eagle eyes, gorilla nipples, different colors of AOG's? Is there a book that can tell you all that?

2. I have a Dendro that is pretty big but want to know why he isnt spreading out and putting out some polyps. He eats like a champ, about a silver side every three days.

If you can offer up some books that you would recommend or some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Got a couple of questions. As I am slowly but surely being sucked into the quicksand known as "saltwater hobby" I am I think getting the hang of taking care of fish, and actually keeping them alive now. I have bought some corals that are easy to keep (mostly zoa's). Hard corals, I am having trouble keeping alive, but I think its a lighting issue.

online is probably your most comprehensive place to look. google searches or places like reefcentral, wetwebmedia, reefs.org, etc

1. Is there a book out there that shows hobbists how to care for different types of corals and has pictures to identify different types? How do you tell what a purple people eater is? What is a Tyree? How can you tell the difference between, eagle eyes, gorilla nipples, different colors of AOG's? Is there a book that can tell you all that?

Tyree is a person, he started the whole coral naming thing. Zoas are Zoas are Zoas no matter what name they are given, in the ocean they are all weeds :-)

The naming thing is just a marketing scheme that has evolved in industry. Why sell a "green Zoa" when you can sell an "atomic green glowing zoa".

Why just sell a purple montipora sp. when you can sell an "idaho grape" People make up names for stuff and people on forums like RC, Reefs.org, this site, etc just eat it up and empty their pockets for it :-)

If you can offer up some books that you would recommend or some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

There are some very knowledgble people on this website that are more than willing to offer advice, I would start with some specifics about your tank, water parameters, specific questions, etc.

To answer your book question there really are a ton. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3424

Edited by SDBDRZ

Just to piggy back on what Scott siad. There is no book naming corals like Tyree this or that, or orange people eaters.

For zoos you can use this website (but it's far from comprehensive): www.zoaid.com

I don't know of a similar site for SPS though (or for LPS for that matter).

Dave

saltwater for dummies :biggrin:

Thanks guys, hey Chris when can I stop by? When you gonna help a bro out and find out how I can get that Dentro to multiply?

whenever man just let me know. If you give it to me ill make it grow and cut you a polp off :biggrin:

how I can get that Dentro to multiply?

I would email Miguel at fragglereef.com He grows Dendros and if somebody knows the answer that will be him :)

That is your old Dentro that I got from you at the group buy last year. He just keeps getting bigger and bigger but no babies. Maybe he is a loner!

That is your old Dentro that I got from you at the group buy last year. He just keeps getting bigger and bigger but no babies. Maybe he is a loner!

:lol:

I thought it had a companion. Does not it have a baby?

If you are making a Dendro get bigger and bigger - you are beating out 90% of the people that own them, I reckon. Nobody even knows for sure how or what to feed them. Most common suggestion - stir up your sand bed once a week to release micro-organisms that they MIGHT eat. I've had one for about a month now - and I don't know that it is getting bigger, but it is still surviving. Had I known there was so little KNOWN about feeding them, I would not have gotten it. Mine is on a rock, with several 'babies' Funny thing is - they open and close in opposition to one another, instead of all at the same time.

bob

I have two heads. One is about an inch and a half around. One is about a quarter size. Right now I just feed the big one is munching on a two inch silverside. The small one is eating a one inch silverside.