300g tank project

Guest AlgaeMaN

Guest AlgaeMaN

I'm getting ready to put together the 300g and hopefully it will be stocked with SPS in March.

Tank Specs:

96"x30"x24 with starfire front (Bare Bottom with Starboard)

100g Rubbermaid Stock Tank (sump)

70g Acrylic Glasscages tank (prop) 48x24x13

3 400w XM20k in Lumenarc 3 reflectors

2 250w Hamilton 14k in Spider Reflectors

ASM G-4x Skimmer

MRC CR-5 Reactor with 20 lb Co2 bottle

Rainbow Lifegard 80w UV

2 Tunze 6100's and 1 Tunze Wavebox

2 1" Sea Swirls

Iwaki 70rlt for main pump

2 2" bulkheads for overflows

2 500w Titanium heaters on a Medusa Controller

Precision Marine Kalk Reactor

350 lbs of base rock that will have been cooked for 1.5 months. Most of this came from Reefer Rocks.

Spectrapure Liter Meter for top-off

Guest Sgt Fury
Im all ears and eyes!  Any fish?  What type of a clean up crew will you maintain?  Is a UV really necessary?  What lighting will you be using over your prop tank?, with all those MHs will you need a chiller?.....ah, so many questions!  Look forward to seeing your tank evolve!

Mike, I nominate you and the other northerners to have a tank tour in the spring/ very early summer!  I have seen 3 of the tanks up your direction now, and any one of them is worth the drive to see.  Getting in all 3 or more on a Saturday road trip would be well worth the time!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "Starboard" in reference to bare bottom tanks? What is a "Medusa Controller"? What do you mean by cooked base rock - Does this mean simply cured rock?

Medusa is a specific brand of temp controller.  Both Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics sells it.

Starboard is similar to cutting board material and is placed on the bottom of the tank before the rocks go in.

Cooking rock refers to a process detailed on reef central.  Do a search there and you will find numerous threads.

Guest AlgaeMaN

Im all ears and eyes!  Any fish?  What type of a clean up crew will you maintain?  Is a UV really necessary?  What lighting will you be using over your prop tank?, with all those MHs will you need a chiller?.....ah, so many questions!  Look forward to seeing your tank evolve!

I'll definately have fish some include

Rabbitfish

Powder Blue Tang

Lawnmower Blennie

Crosshatch Triggers

Its debatable if UV's are nessessary. They do help with algae and ick control. The lighting over the prop tank will be 2 250w 14k's in Lumenarcs. I have a 1/2 hp chiller if I need it. I'm hoping I won't need to use it much.The clean up crew will mainly consist of 200 ceriths and 200 astrea snails, sally lightfoots, cleaner shrimp, and peppermint shrimp.