Strange Aquacontroller jr. behavior...

madmax7774

I have added a Grey seas aquatics kalkwasser (shameless plug for Dan!) to my setup, and I can't get my aquacontoller to behave. It turns on fine when the float switch is low, and if the PH is below 8.4, but nothing I do shuts it off.

I have a PH probe, and a float switch. the float switch is wired into the serial port per the instruction manual, and it seems to work OK, by itself.

my code:

OSC 002/001 ON/OFF then KLK ON

if PH > 8.4 then KLK OFF

if switch OPEN the KLK OFF

I have tried numerous variations, of this code, but no matter how I change it, it never shuts off the aqualifter pump. I thought it could be the fact that the aqualifter is about 12 ft. away, on an extension cord, but I tried plugging a lamp in it's place to have it turn the lamp on and off, but it stills doesn't function.

I think it has to be a code problem, but I can't find the problem. I can list the whole program, if it helps...

John

:why:

John list the whole code, I'm sure Dave can figure it out.

john

I have added a Grey seas aquatics kalkwasser (shameless plug for Dan!) to my setup, and I can't get my aquacontoller to behave. It turns on fine when the float switch is low, and if the PH is below 8.4, but nothing I do shuts it off.

I have a PH probe, and a float switch. the float switch is wired into the serial port per the instruction manual, and it seems to work OK, by itself.

my code:

OSC 002/001 ON/OFF then KLK ON

if PH > 8.4 then KLK OFF

if switch OPEN the KLK OFF

I have tried numerous variations, of this code, but no matter how I change it, it never shuts off the aqualifter pump. I thought it could be the fact that the aqualifter is about 12 ft. away, on an extension cord, but I tried plugging a lamp in it's place to have it turn the lamp on and off, but it stills doesn't function.

I think it has to be a code problem, but I can't find the problem. I can list the whole program, if it helps...

John

:why:

Try this instead:

If TIME is > 00:01 Then KALK ON'

If TIME is > 01:16 Then KALK OFF (or whatever time you run it for)

If PH is > 8.60 then Kalk OFF

Now I don't know the exact function of your float switch. Is it wired so that it turns a pump on when the switch is open?

I think the safest way to run the code and the system is in addition to the above timer command:

If SWITCH is CLOSED then Kalk OFF

If you are adding all of your topoff though the kalk mixer then first determine your evaporation rate then figure the time that it takes for the pump to pump that much water through the system. Then multiply your time by 1.25 to account for higher evaporation days and the end result will be something like this:

You evap 1.5 gallons/day.

The pump takes 1 hour to pump 1.5 gallons.

* 1.25 = 1 hour and 15 minutes (see code above)

Pump turns on and runs for 1 hour/day on normal days then the second part of the code (float switch) turns it off for the last 15 minutes then the timer shuts it down for good.

Heavy evap day the pump might run for 1 hour and 15 minutes until the timer turns it off

If the PH is ever above 8.6 the ph command turns the pump off during the timed cycle.

OK, I finally figured it out (nearly lost my mind in the process, and seriously considered shooting the aquacontroller!). I had the program right, but I was missing one key concept. The aquacontroller was sensing the ph and float switch state rapidly. The problem was that the controller would turn the aqualifter on/off very rapidly. The end result was that it looked like it was always on. There was a "hysterisis" setting that says don't do that. I added that in, and set it so that if goes on, and then off, it must wait 4 hours before I t can go on again. the code is

max change 240 M then KLK OFF

thanks to Dan & John for your help

John

:clap:

ok, maybe not. The program and the port work with a lamp plugged in, but when I use the aqualifter pump on the extension cord, it stays on. Here's where it gets really interesting. When I use manual control to turn the port off, it still stays on!!! I am starting to think I am cursed. I ran the diagnostic self test, and everything came back ok. I am lost on this one....

OK, the problem and solution has been found. The problem was the voltage on the aqualifter pump is too low for the ac jr. to make it work, I added a powerstrip with a nightlight to the circuit. this increases the load when the port turns on, and allows the ac jr. to be able to turn it off. Bizarre I know, but it works, so I'll take it...

John

:cheers:

OK, the problem and solution has been found. The problem was the voltage on the aqualifter pump is too low for the ac jr. to make it work, I added a powerstrip with a nightlight to the circuit. this increases the load when the port turns on, and allows the ac jr. to be able to turn it off. Bizarre I know, but it works, so I'll take it...

John

:cheers:

Sounds like maybe the aqualifter doesn't draw enough current that the controller even knows it is there. A nice, efficient pump!

bob