Activated cabon duties

Guest Larry-T

Guest Larry-T

The US government will impose significant anti-dumping duties on imports of steam activated carbon from China, according to a decision made by the U. S. International Trade Commission yesterday.

The US industry is "materially injured" by certain activated carbon imports from China, said the ITC in a statement, adding all six commissioners voted in the affirmative.

On Feb. 26, the US Department of Commerce also claimed that activated carbon from China were sold at so-called "less than fair value" in the United States.

As a result of the ITC's decision, the Department of Commerce will issue a significant anti-dumping duty order on the goods from China. The final duties might range between 62.08 percent and 228. 11 percent.

The duties, collected by US Customs and Border Protection, could be imposed for up to five years after the ITC ruled that the domestic industry is being injured by the dumping.

From 2005 to 2006, imports of activated carbon from China decreased 4.4 percent by volume and were valued at an estimated US$25 million in 2006, said US Department of Commerce.

Typical uses of steam activated carbon include removing objectionable tastes and odors from drinking water; reducing organic compounds in waste water; removing color and impurities from foods and chemicals; and removing mercury and dioxins from flue gas emissions.

sounds like china was doing what it always does. making a product and selling it for less in our market. as a consumer thats fine with me. unless there is an issue with quality or effectiveness what is the issue?

Guest HVF21221

This type of thing is not new. Many of you may already know one that is in effect. It is called the Farm Bill. It supports U.S. farmers. Certain things are threatening the Farm Bill, a couple are NAFTA and CAFTA. While I don't like to talk politics too much, I work in a very narrow field in the U.S. and that is the sugar industry. For years we pay about twice as much for raw sugar as the rest of the world. This tarriff supports the American sugar growers because they can not compete. Now when I mean they can't compete it is not just labor wages. These manufacturers in other parts of the world don't care about things like their employees health care, no OSHA, and no EPA. We spend alot of money making sure we follow EPA reqirements. Other countries in the world spend less or none. Free trade is not always fair trade. Just a couple thoughts.

very insightful. i just went over this in school last semester in business school. free trade is not fair trade abroad or at home. this is supposed to be a free market economy but there are several examples of antitrust violations all over this nation. the computer we use this hobby is a perfect example of a collection cornered markets and one or a few competitors controlling the price and quality of the products they sell without the threat of competition.