Sick Pyramid

I picked this pyramid up from BRK a couple of weeks ago and brought him home and put him in my QT. Shortly after that my powder brown in my tang developed ich. So, I pulled all of the fish out of the tank and put them in my QT. I noticed the other day that my pyramid now has some spots on its side. Is this ich or some other disease or parasite? Also what recommendations do you have on treatment?

gallery_1007_97_119527.jpggallery_1007_97_138543.jpg

It looks like the fish was probably nipped by one of your other fish. I just added a new rabbitfish to my tank and my powder blue went berserk on it. Have you noticed any aggression toward the pyramid?

The powder brown will ocassionally swim toward the pyramid but I have never seen it get close enough to actually nip it. My PB went crazy when I added a rabbitfish as well but after a day the settled down and were fine.

Looks like it got the crap kicked out of it. All your fish likely became stressed and then the ick followed. Isolate the fish in the QT until it starts to fatten up and ick is gone. Reintroduce the BF first, then a week later the other fish.

Isolate the fish in the QT until it starts to fatten up and ick is gone.

Ok. The pyramid is now isolated in a spare 10 gallon tank that I plumbed into my QT. I am using a hyposalinity quarantine. Is this enough to kill the ich or should I medicate?

Sounds like I need to sign my pyramid up for self defense classes. :clap:

I got a pyramid from that same BRK order and mine appears to be suffering from a similar malady that I cannot quite figure out. I have had it in QT since day 1. The tail and rear of the dorsal fins look a bit ragged (thought this was shipping related--not sure now) and there are some sort of white clumps on the body. These are irregular and almost look like raised sections of scales. There are about 3 of these blotches--about 1 cm each--not symmetrical and definitely too big and too few of them for this to be ich. These appeared at first to be damage related from a fight with another fish, but they appear to be getting worse, not better. Anyone have any idea what this is and how to treat in QT? Hyposalinity doesn't seem like the answer. Formalin dips, maybe?

Edited by keeperofthefish

Guest tgallo

Bacterial Infection

Other Names: Pseudomonas,Vibrio

Symptoms: Reddened, frayed fins with open sores, rapid respiration, cloudy eyes, poor appetite, lethargy, weight loss, abdominal swelling

I was reading about an infection that causes raised spots, calling it cauliflower like white bumps on the fish....is that the same thing you mentioned Tony?

and there are some sort of white clumps on the body. These are irregular and almost look like raised sections of scales.

My butterfly has the same symptoms.

Other Names: Pseudomonas,Vibrio

I did a search for these two names on Rc and came of with a dozen different reccomendations for medications. The most common being TMP-Sulfa, Neomycin Sulfate, and Tetracycline. Has anybody successfully used these drugs to cure Pseudomonas?

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Guest tgallo

kinda hard to tell by your pictures, i think i see red sores and frayed fins.

Is the fish eating,how's the fish's behavior,what about it's breathing pattern's.

You mite want to PM Copp's/John , since he has the same fish and could shed some more light on them.

The symptoms are exactly as keeperofthefish described. He is eating great and all other activity seems pretty normal except his breathing seems to be a little rapid.

I sent a PM to John. Hopefully he has a chance to jump in here.

If he's eating, you may have good luck with medicated food. Maybe try some of this Seachem Focus:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_medica...hem.asp?CartId=

Mix it in with frozen food and see how he does.

I've used tetracycline with freshwater fish and it works pretty well.

Also have used Furanase with freshwater fish and have it work well.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;N=2004+113021

I also got one of these pyramids from BRK, and mine is doing fantastic. (knock on wood). I know that BRK keeps their fish in hypo salinity while they are there. You guys acclimated right?

John

You guys acclimated right?

John

I brought the fish home and drip acclimated with water that matched the salinity of BRK's. Copps replied to my PM and suggested that I keep an eye on the ammonia levels. I started daily 30% water changes and Maracyn treatments today. Hopefully this will solve the problems.