Miracle return of Midas Bleney

Bob

Last week I shared sorrow with someone who had a Midas Bleney disappear. A week ago I fed my fish at the normal time and he ate like a champ. I went to bed; couldnt sleep andgot back up and sat and watched the fish and realized that I was missing my Bleney too. For the next several days I checked all the nooks and holes between my rocks hoping to find his body. At least a week passed, it may have been even longer. I certainly gave up any hope of finding him dead or alive.

Today I hit BRK and F&F and made several purchases. When I returned home, as I was removing my foam in the sump to wash I saw the

bleney in the first chamber of the sump. He looked dark and I was sure dead. There is no standing water in my first chamber of the sump, only the 1/8 of an inch of water that the overflows provide till they drop below the grid. The only time there is water in this chamber is when I turn off the main pump (as I always do when I feed nightly.) I took a screwdriver and took the lid of the sump figuring I was going to be able to give him a proper send off. THE BUGGER WAS ALIVE. I put him a drinking glass to evaluate him to decide if I could put him back in the tank. His fins were all fine, no tears, ragged edges or anything. The center third of his body however looks kinda black and blue with a few scrapes along is body. I put him back in the tank and after an hour of resting he took mysis shrimp and I think he is gonna make it. The only possible explination I can come up with is he swam down the water return when the main pump was off. How he survived, I couldnt tell you.

Guest beatle

I had a similar experience where my midas snuck out on some LR I was removing. He hid under the rocks (and in them, apparently) for a few days before I found him and put him back in. They're crafty buggers!

WHAT A CHAMPION!! I love midas blennies...He probably deserves a name after that feat. I only name fish if they develop character. maybe Mario or Luigi, going down the pipes to collect coins most likely.

I am a big fan of getting my fishes as tiny as possible as I like to see them grow. Major problem is that all like to take a trip to my sump via the overflow highway, I cut some eggcrate and molded it to fit in the overflow and since then they no longer enjoy the comforts of the Autobahn Overflows. :wink:

Edited by rsaavedra

only possible explination I can come up with is he swam down the water return

:bluefish:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE FISH!

Don't they know the water rides are at KINGS DOMINION!!!!

:lol2:

...found my Randfordi after missing for about a MONTH!

Was in my sump, a little thin, stuck him into the frag tank and now healthy and ready to go back into the main tank!

:cheers: