Taking corals on airplanes?

Greetings,

I know a while back new airline security regulations stated you

cannot bring ANY liquids on planes. I recall seeing something

abot this the last time I was in an airport.

I want to hand carry some corals on a plane ride next week (to CA).

I'm going to call the airlines, but has anyone faced this issue already

andKNOW if it's possible to hand carry corals?

thanks

tim

Hey Tim, you'll have to put them in your checked baggage, but it's not a big deal if done right (after all, that's how our corals got to us). I just spoke with Julian Sprung about it yesterday as he went back to Miami this morning with his frags from the meeting...

Hey Tim, you'll have to put them in your checked baggage, but it's not a big deal if done right (after all, that's how our corals got to us). I just spoke with Julian Sprung about it yesterday as he went back to Miami this morning with his frags from the meeting...

Thanks John

I guess it's ok to put them in the checked luggage then, I wasn't sure about that.

I'd sure rather hand carry them. Are you sure thats not allowed?

thanks

tim

I think if you get a nice heavy duty stryofoam box, you should be able to use this and pack them in your checked luggage. I know Delta let us do that when we came back from MACNA Houston. I would have them use 3 bags on each coral and then put all small bags in a large clear garbage bag or 2 to try to contain any leaks. Having external box with live animals on it would help and an invoice of contents on top of styro (inside cardboard box) may help as well for TSA screen.

Good luck

Thanks John

I guess it's ok to put them in the checked luggage then, I wasn't sure about that.

I'd sure rather hand carry them. Are you sure thats not allowed?

thanks

tim

Yeah I'm sure about it Tim... I fly quite regularly and they are very vigilant... you might be able to slip by but if you got caught you'd have to hand over the corals... checking it like Craig said should work out fine though with proper packaging... I ship frags out regularly and there's almost never an issue...

Yeah I'm sure about it Tim...I fly quite regularly and they are very vigilant..... amazing... you might be able to slip by but if you got caught you'd have to hand over the corals... checking it like Craig said should work out fine though with proper packaging... I ship frags out regularly and there's almost never an issue...

I work at the airport and in the security process (DHS), although I don't work the Checkpoint anymore, I did at one point (Supervisor)...

take a quart ziplock baggie... and you will be able to take as many 3.4oz bottles that will fit into that baggie... but you would have to make sure it is NOT over 3.4oz in each container.... I would suggest you box safely and put everything in your checked baggage...... or better yet....

FEDEx to your home....

Edited by Mystical Lady

My apologies... :biggrin: I only meant to say that they are VERY vigilant it seems with liquids... We were travelling with our 18 month old last month and our bottled water was confiscated even for him... they said they allow juice for babies, but not water... and we were told to buy more through the gate even though we were travelling for a full day to South America... I understand they're doing their job and have more issues with the policies than the people following them, but that's a separate issue :)

Again my apologies, but we're recommending the same thing... check the corals... :)

Hey Tim, also, many of the LFS around will provide you a nice styro box free of charge... I know Johnny at BRK will, and if he gives you an issue tell him to put it on my tab :D