Clown Fish

unninair

I have had 2 Ocellaris Clowns for about a month now. Last week end I introduced a green bubble tip anemone. So far, the clowns seems to ignore the BTA and go about their business.

Last night I noticed one of the clowns staying on the water surface "blowing" an occasional bubble. There are no visible signs of trauma or discoloration. They have never done this before. Is this cause for concern? This morning (after napping on the bottom), it is back on the surface. Please help.

Thank you

Actually it comes down to the bottom at night. It goes to the surface during day time (light is on). Also, it appears to have lost its appetite a bit (still eating - but very little).

Unni

Guest Tmtplyb
It not looking good. IME I have a pair acting like that, lost appetite run up and down corner of the tank. It gone after a week.  Maybe still time to save it, if you have a friends that have refugime tank you can ask to put them to see if they get any better.  Good luck!

Its a 55 g tank with 30 lb of live rock... I have had then for about 2 months now. There is a yellow Tang (added about 4 weeks ago) and a green bubble tip anemone that I added over the weekend.

Unni

How's your circulation in the tank?  Do you have good movement at the water surface?  Protein skimmer?  Are you dosing anything that raises pH (it's a bit elevated)?  Just looking for clues...

What is your nitrite and nitrate at?  Is it's feces long, white, stringy?  Are you familiar with the signs of Brooklynella and oodinium?  Do you have cyclopeeze (fish usually will eat this even if they're not doing well)?  You may also want to add either garlic, selcon, or vita-chem to the food that it is eating.  If you could catch the fish I would also consider giving it a freshwater dip (make sure that the pH and temp is the same as the tank) for 5 minutes.  After that time check the bottom of the container for anything.  Do you have a quarantine tank?

I have 2 power heads and an overflow siphon arrangement to take water into my sump (old wet/dry) where I run my protein skimmer. The water from my sump is pubped back into the tank (adds to surface water movement). I have also added a filter with activated carbon.

As of yesterday evening, it hasstopped going to the surface and I saw him eat a few very small pieces of food (may be improving??).

I have not checked my nitrate or nitrite recently. I have never seen its feces either. I am new to this hobby and I am not familiar with the signs of Brooklynella and oodinium?

What would I find on the bottom of the container after a fresh water dip and what does it indicate? Is this safe? I do not have a quarantine tank yet - can probably convert my unused 10G.

Thanks for you help

Unni

I've seen some freeky white worm parasites that looked like maguts come out of fish's skin and eyes during a fresh water dip. If any parasites come out you'd see them on the bottom of the container.