small flood

mogurnda

I know I'm not alone with this problem.  My sump cracked, and I got maybe 5 gallons of water on the floor.  The carpet pad is wet, but not accessible under the tank.  Do I really have to move the whole thing to get pad out and replaced?

While, 5g!

Try Wetvac, fan, dehumidifier and a lot of praying.

Will take a long time to dry out but depending on how fast you get on it the better. Problem is its not just pure water...

Could end up with fishy smell.

Best choice is to remove, clean and replace, but that's not an option of course most of the time.

Howard

I'm looking to add a little preventative measure to my set up to possibly avoid this plague. I'm going to use a sheet of plywood under my stand, extended a little on all 4 sides of my stand, with carpet on the under side to keep the permanent floor (hardwood, carpet, tile...) from getting permanently imprented by weight of tank.

I'm also going to picture frame the perimeter of the plywood with 2x3, sealed and caulked to make a boat, just in case I do get a leak.

One thing that has dawned on me as I mull this idea over in my mind is that my drilled sump will be resting on the plywood, as well as my Iwaki external return pump. If I do get a leak, my external pump will become a submerged pump. Does anyone have an idea how to keep the external pump dry in this condition? I don't think I can raise the pump because in the case of a power outage the pump would drain and when power comes back on it would run dry (not good).