Microscopic starfish?

lanman

I noticed this evening (along with the first little plate of coralite on my acrylic) while cleaning my tank, that I have some tiny tiny little things (about a dozen here and there) on the 'glass' inside the tank. They are about the size of a period ( . ), and almost transparent (a speck of white) - and when I catch the light just right, it appears they have 5 tiny appendages. Could these be baby starfish of some sort? I can't seem to find a magnifying glass, and I don't think I have a microscope anymore.

Thanks,

bob

I noticed this evening (along with the first little plate of coralite on my acrylic) while cleaning my tank, that I have some tiny tiny little things (about a dozen here and there) on the 'glass' inside the tank. They are about the size of a period ( . ), and almost transparent (a speck of white) - and when I catch the light just right, it appears they have 5 tiny appendages. Could these be baby starfish of some sort? I can't seem to find a magnifying glass, and I don't think I have a microscope anymore.

Thanks,

bob

I just noticed something like this in my tank just last night as well. I looked at them with a magnifying glass and many have more than five appendages, so I think that might rule out stars. Some kind of filter-feeder maybe?

'Ric

Hydroid jellyfish, very common in new tanks and typically disappear pretty quickly.

DITTO

DITTO

L I B ... I just googled hydroid jellyfish and found a picture of my little animalcules. You guys are way too smart.

bob

That sugar magnolia may not post alot...but sure is smart! :biggrin:

AND she only lives about 20 minutes down route 28 :) In case I need emergency hydroid identification services. :)

bob