Pinched Mantle - Clamsdirect.com research

As most of us are aware that have been keeping clams for awhile the term,

"Pinched Mantle" so ClamsDirect has hired a Marine Aquatic Lab to help us ID the

problem and possible come up with a course of treatment.

This past year, ClamsDirect had stepped up to the plate and have found out that

this is most likely protozoan but need to ID. We have shipped health clams as

well as infected ones to this lab for testing and have paid for cultures sample

and 3 histo slides and histopathology. More research and DNA is needed but

ClamsDirect does not have much more money in the budget to continue so please

take the time to read this thread on our support forum.

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982

Thanks for your support..

ClamsDirect

As most of us are aware that have been keeping clams for awhile the term,

"Pinched Mantle" so ClamsDirect has hired a Marine Aquatic Lab to help us ID the

problem and possible come up with a course of treatment.

This past year, ClamsDirect had stepped up to the plate and have found out that

this is most likely protozoan but need to ID. We have shipped health clams as

well as infected ones to this lab for testing and have paid for cultures sample

and 3 histo slides and histopathology. More research and DNA is needed but

ClamsDirect does not have much more money in the budget to continue so please

take the time to read this thread on our support forum.

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982

Thanks for your support..

ClamsDirect

How about a donation/grant whatever you want to call it from the club?

How about a donation/grant whatever you want to call it from the club?

Are you suggesting we help fund research...? ;)

Are you suggesting we help fund research...? ;)

Didn't we have this discussion before.... with the end result being that we don't have the resources to properly vet a research proposal? I think it is appropriate to post it here and for individuals to contribute if they so desire, but I'm not sure the club can/should donate to this particular project. My concerns are not based on the merits of this particular study (I think it is very worthwhile). My concerns are more macro, big picture oriented. We do not have any policy regarding the use of club funds to pay for research efforts. Before we go donating money, we need to clearly define how/when such donations can occur.

Didn't we have this discussion before.... with the end result being that we don't have the resources to properly vet a research proposal? I think it is appropriate to post it here and for individuals to contribute if they so desire, but I'm not sure the club can/should donate to this particular project. My concerns are not based on the merits of this particular study (I think it is very worthwhile). My concerns are more macro, big picture oriented. We do not have any policy regarding the use of club funds to pay for research efforts. Before we go donating money, we need to clearly define how/when such donations can occur.

The discussion we had before centered on the possibility of funding academic research projects. The concerns raised in that thread concerned the potential complexities involved in establishing a small grant system. In addition there were also suggestions that members of the club would be more ammenable to funding research directly related to the hobby.

This suggestion is not the same thing. Here we have a single very modest request for help for a project directly related to our hobby. They are asking for $2500 total to fund work that may impact the entire hobby. That's 1/6th the amount that the club has earmarked to build a tank for the National Aquarium in DC.

If I recall correctly from our last meeting, we have a surplus of funds raised through MACNA (beyond that set aside for the tank build) that are supposed to be earmarked for projects/uses to help the hobby/and or education. If I am wrong about this, let me know. I am suggesting we as a club consider spending some fraction of $2500 to help get this study completed. I believe that we should also fund some initiatives in addition to the tank build with the money set aside for educational purposes. As such, I think our club has the capability to do more than just ask individual members for donations. As for enacting a policy to deal with how the club handles donations, I think that is a good idea and one I think we can handle.

David

Edited by cabrerad

I never disagreed that this project isn't a worthwhile project for the club to participate in. I agree that this is exactly the type of research that the club should support. All I am saying is that we need to establish a clear policy and guidelines for evaluating research proposals prior to just jumping in and throwing money around. We are trying to incorporate as a nonprofit, and in that regard for accountability purposes we need to have at least some minimum guidance to follow when considering donating as a club.

So, with that said. I am more than willing to assist in attempting to create this structure. I will present this as a recommendation to the Officers and see what they think. If they agree, then I will solicit for volunteers from the club to assist in drafting this policy. We can then post it here for evaluation and put it up for a vote at the spring meeting. If they approve, we can follow that vote with a proposal for funding this project (assuming it meets our guidelines :biggrin: ). How's that?

I never disagreed that this project isn't a worthwhile project for the club to participate in. I agree that this is exactly the type of research that the club should support. All I am saying is that we need to establish a clear policy and guidelines for evaluating research proposals prior to just jumping in and throwing money around. We are trying to incorporate as a nonprofit, and in that regard for accountability purposes we need to have at least some minimum guidance to follow when considering donating as a club.

So, with that said. I am more than willing to assist in attempting to create this structure. I will present this as a recommendation to the Officers and see what they think. If they agree, then I will solicit for volunteers from the club to assist in drafting this policy. We can then post it here for evaluation and put it up for a vote at the spring meeting. If they approve, we can follow that vote with a proposal for funding this project (assuming it meets our guidelines :biggrin: ). How's that?

Sounds good to me.

Just an update from Barry on how the progress of raising money is going.

If you would, please go to this thead on our support forum and take the polls. As most of you know we are doing some research on Pinched Mantle and this polls will also be of help. http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 We are also asking for donations to further this ongoing research for pinched mantle. We have collected over $1200.00 and our goal is $2500.00. Thanks for your continued support. Barry ClamsDirect

Hey everyone, If any of you are interested in donating to this cause. I have setup a webpage specifically for this Fund. You can paypal any monies through this page. For those of you who may be a little awkward because you dont know me, some of the WAMAS Staff can vouch for me that I am not going to run with your money. I am the Public Relations Officer for CMAS and am doing the same thing for them. Thanks everyone. Visit http://clamsdirect.chipin.com to make any donations possible!! The goal is atleast $500.00!! So c'mon and chip in!!!

-Jessica Farace