Roozens

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
Well, I went to Roozens with my cousin today and he decided to buy me a gift...a 12" Snowflake Eel!!  This thing is absolutely incredible.  I currently have it in my 55g QT, just to make sure he's eating and healthy.  I went to Petco and bought 30 feeder fish and have fed one so far; the snowflake devoured it.  The guy at Roozens said to feed 2 a day, morning and night.  I will post pics either tonight or tomorrow!!!

Im sure some agree and some dont, but think of this. Do you think snowflakes eat Rosie red type feeder fish in the wild? Its really not good to feed in captivity. Like I said some will tell you "oh ive been doing it for years" its just   Mine use to devour shrimp and krill every 2 or 3 days. Wouldnt see nothing but his head sticking out until he got hungry and thenswam around until i fed him,, on a stick of course!

Sorry, but been a pet peeve of mine of the idiots you hear about buying huge triggers, eels, groupers, etc so they can amuse their friends watching a Goldfish get eatin'.

Mike

Ever since the World Series when Boston beat Yankees and Astros the word "idiot" has become very popular.  I understand every one has a different opinion and not two members are alike.  Perhaps my favorite pet is not everyone's favorite pet, but that does not allow us as WAMAS members the privilege to freely use word "idiots" (or similar word) to describe other WAMAS member’s decision or opinions.  I do not keep eels and personally don't like them but to each it's own, and if there are members that do then so be, but perhaps we can all learn a little from other members that do keep different pets and share as a group experiences and mistakes.

i had a snowflafe and he did fine eating krill and table shrimp. i never tried live food because i just have a hard time buying animals and tossing them to thier death. i understand its nature and the food chain and all that i just dont want to have to do that all the time

Jacob,

Well said!

Clownfish4,

Do you plan to keep him in your qt. If you move him to another tank with other fish, are you concerned he might eat your other fish. This is something I've been worried about. Maybe there is a particular type that stays small that you can have with much larger fish w/ no problem. Anybody know the best type?

Hi All

Jacob Very well said,

Mike congrats on your new tank mate. I haven't kept eels and don't plan to but I have heard they can be sneaky and you need a good canopy on the tank to keep them in.

Chris

Guest D33rex

I had an eel for a while, and I also agree that it gets old feeding with a stick all the time.  Had him in a 55 just the same with a few other fish without ever having any problems. They were bigger fish, a lionfish, blue and yellow tangs, however.  

One thing you can try to get the eel to come out a little more is to buy a cleaner shrimp.  Some expert told me it was 50/50 whether the eel would eat it or not, but I tried it.  It worked out perfectly for me, the eel would let the shrimp all over him, in his mouth even.  The shrimp would just sit on his head for hours when the eel came out. I moved and got rid of the eel a while ago however.