Plumbing

lanman

I finally found the tank I want for a frag tank (27 Gal 36-inch long tank), and I will order it today (if they are open) or tomorrow. So now I'm going to have to add it to the system. Also getting a 20-gallon sump to replace the 10-gallon sump.

My main tank in this system is a 45-gallon tank.

And I know nothing about this, but from a couple of other people's tanks I've seen set up.

In my mind:

A second pump in the sump, to the 27, and the overflow from the 27 back into the sump. (i.e. - only physical connection between the two tanks is sharing a sump.) I am counting on the 45 to keep the water healthy; no live rock or sand bed in the 27, other than perhaps some rubble.

Sound right?

Next question: Where do you order plumbing parts? I plan to drill a couple of holes in the 27 for input and overflow. Where do I get the connectors to put in those holes, the adjustable nozzle for the input side, and the 'screen' for the output side (to keep anything from blocking the outflow)??

Thanks to all of you experienced folks for answering my newguy questions!

bob

Edited by lanman

Some suggestions:

Consider splitting the drain from your display so that 1/2 goes to the frag tank and the other 1/2 goes straight to the sump, then simply drain from the frag tank back to the sump as you currently plan. Seems like a waste put in a 2nd pump when you could just let gravity do the work. Also, if you simply plumb the frag tank into your system you will not add any flow to your sump. Not sure if this is a concern for you or not, depends on how much total flow you have, how big your sump is, and how you deal with turbulence in there, but it is something to think about.

Oversize or double up the drain capacity on the frag tank to deal with murphy's law.

For the input to your frag tank you could make a pvc manifold with multiple outlets, or use locline with some "y" fittings and adjustable nozzles. In either case, you could run it over the top or through a bulkhead. For the overflow(s), you will need diamond coated drill bits, bulkhead fittings, intake screens. For all of this and more, BRK will probably have everything you need to do the job. If not, try Marinedepot, aquaticeco, usplastics, savko.

Some suggestions:

Consider splitting the drain from your display so that 1/2 goes to the frag tank and the other 1/2 goes straight to the sump, then simply drain from the frag tank back to the sump as you currently plan. Seems like a waste put in a 2nd pump when you could just let gravity do the work. Also, if you simply plumb the frag tank into your system you will not add any flow to your sump. Not sure if this is a concern for you or not, depends on how much total flow you have, how big your sump is, and how you deal with turbulence in there, but it is something to think about.

Oversize or double up the drain capacity on the frag tank to deal with murphy's law.

For the input to your frag tank you could make a pvc manifold with multiple outlets, or use locline with some "y" fittings and adjustable nozzles. In either case, you could run it over the top or through a bulkhead. For the overflow(s), you will need diamond coated drill bits, bulkhead fittings, intake screens. For all of this and more, BRK will probably have everything you need to do the job. If not, try Marinedepot, aquaticeco, usplastics, savko.

I considered running the outflow from the main tank to the frag tank - but the top of the frag tank will only be about 3-4" lower than the top of my main tank. And with my U-tube overflow, well - it would be uphill. Yes, I could place the frag tank lower, but there is a natural ledge running around the basement wall that I planned to put it on. I will reconsider that placement, though. Moving it down a few inches might solve several problems (but require that I buy or build a stand, move some furniture around, etc). Thanks for the tip on the bulkhead fittings, etc. I go to BRK quite often, but didn't realize they had those. I will now head off to the websites of the places you mentioned to continue my studies! Oh - don't need the diamond saw, I hope; both of the tanks I ordered are acrylic. Can I drill that with a regular hole saw?

bob

I see now why you want to use a 2nd pump.

Yes, you can drill acrylic with a regular hole saw, but it can be difficult. You have to control the speed just right or it will melt too much. Every time I have done it I have ended up needing to use a dremel to smooth things out a bit. The only acrylic work I have done has involved using Weldon to attach and seal PVC fittings in the holes. I have no idea how you go about installing a bulkhead in an acrylic tank. Maybe it's the same as with glass tanks? Hopefully one of the more experienced members will post here to help you out.