Coralline??

lanman

So it's been exactly two months since I set up my 24-gallon tank. I noticed tonight that I have several brick-red and dark maroon patches appearing on the rocks in shady places. My first thought was some kind of red algae; but upon closer examination - could it be coralline? I was expecting pink and lavendar. I also expected if I ever saw coralline in that tank, it would take a while. No actinic lights; just MH, and white and blue LED's.

Opinions? Could it be coralline? Or am I about to have some kind of a nasty outbreak of something??

bob

Use a turkey baster to blast a stream of water over the spots. If it comes off easily, it's most likely cyano. Coraline will be hard and will not blow or rub off easily.

Use a turkey baster to blast a stream of water over the spots. If it comes off easily, it's most likely cyano. Coraline will be hard and will not blow or rub off easily.

Well, it certainly doesn't blow off. It's dark in the tank now; I'll try rubbing it in the morning. And now that I have the picture-posting thing down - I'll take some pictures, too.

bob

Congrats, sounds like you have Coraline growing!

:cheers:

Are you using a Kalk Reactor or dosing chemicals?

Congrats, sounds like you have Coraline growing!

:cheers:

Are you using a Kalk Reactor or dosing chemicals?

Been using a two-part additive for nano-reefs (B-Ionic), but only 1-2 times per week, because all of my numbers, including calcium, stay within normal range.

A few days ago:

http://images21.fotki.com/v516/photos/1/10...IMGP2299-vi.jpg

The LIGHTEST colored patch can be seen to the left of the feather duster in the center. One of the dark red patches can be seen through the lower part of the xenia on the left (the really dark red patches below the xenia are the remains of some kind of sponge that came on the rock, and the critters haven't been able to scrape it off). Will take pictures of the dark red stuff after daylight comes in my ocean.

This is my first attempt - and I used live rock that had arrived at MS the day I bought it; so I went through a pretty painful cycle which I never thought would end.

I realize it's kind of 'busy' right now - it doubles as my 'frag tank', until I get one.

bob

Edited by lanman