Alkalinity?

lanman

My original 24 gallon tank has had correct Alk since it started; around 3.0.

The new 45 gallon tank runs low; 2.2-2.5. What is the best way to raise alkalinity?

I see in the beginner's guide to water suggestions for Kalkwasser, two-part additives, and baking soda.

What's a good Alk-raising option for a newbie working hard at doing it right??

Numbers on the new tank tonight (2 weeks in):

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.05

Nitrate 10

pH 8.2

Alk 2.2

I made my first 5 gallons of RO/DI water today! Topped off both tanks with it. Next 5 gallons will be used to make saltwater for water changes. Woohoo!

bob

Bob,

Posting the same question in two threads makes it more difficult for folks to track the issues and assist you with advice. Please stick with one thread when looking for assistance.

Anyways, here is a great article on calc, alk, magnesium and PH. While your alk does appear to be a little low, stability is much more important that hitting any magic numbers and you should be measuring at least calc, alk and PH before you begin to make adjustments, especially if one of the numbers is out of the "normal" range. Do you have a calc test kit?

In response to your question about which is easier for a beginner, I'd say that you should start with a two part additive like B-Ionic or Randy's Two Part DIY.

Bob,

Posting the same question in two threads makes it more difficult for folks to track the issues and assist you with advice. Please stick with one thread when looking for assistance.

Anyways, here is a great article on calc, alk, magnesium and PH. While your alk does appear to be a little low, stability is much more important that hitting any magic numbers and you should be measuring at least calc, alk and PH before you begin to make adjustments, especially if one of the numbers is out of the "normal" range. Do you have a calc test kit?

In response to your question about which is easier for a beginner, I'd say that you should start with a two part additive like B-Ionic or Randy's Two Part DIY.

Actually - in the other thread it wasn't meant to be a question - just a statement in a discussion concerning how well experienced live rock did in starting a tank.

I purchased more Ionic-B today - big bottles; I have been using it in my smaller aquarium, but they are little bottles; the bigger one would eat up a bottle in no time. I'll check the calcium tonight, as well. This hobby can certainly keep you busy!

bob

Yeah, you could go broke buying the small bottles of B-ionic. The large bottle is a much better deal but is still pretty expensive. You might want to look into the DIY two-part recipe to save even more money over the long run. ~$28-~$30 will buy you 50# each of MAG Flakes and Dowflake. Toss in a few bucks worth of Epsom salts and baking soda and you have enough two-part to last for at least a year or two.

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaaack!

Two months in - I've increased the amount of 'alkalinity' that I'm dosing with the two part by a bit. Hard to be exact with the test kit I have, but it looks like maybe alkalinity is now 2.1. Complete numbers - taken in the evening, after tank lights have been on for about 6 hours, and 22 hours since I last dosed the 2-part:

Temp 77.9

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.05

Nitrate 0

pH 8.2 (with pH meter)

Alk 2.1

CA = 390

These numbers have remained pretty stable (Alk has at times been as low as 1.7 before I increased the ALK part of the two-part B-Ionic) for the last two months, Ammonia was very low instead of zero one week after a crab died.

Everything is alive and growing - but maybe could grow a little faster.

Any further suggestions for getting Alkalinity up a wee bit? Add more of the B-ionic?? Get a kalk reactor? (something I plan to do at some point - kalk and CA reactors)

Thanks again for any suggestions.

bob

I am assuming that the Alk measue of 2.1 is Meq/L

You want 3.5-4.0 Meq/L

Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a 10-12 oz cup of RO/DI and stir vigorously.

Then pour into sump. This should raise 50 gallons about .5 Meg/L.

Do one cup per day till you are at the desired 3.5-4.0 Meq/L

Baking soda is relatively nuetral to PH, so you will not be throwing off the PH you have.

With your Calcium level as high as it is I would double check my alk readings against another kit before I proceeded as you may have an ALK reading issue. Once you are satisfied that your alk is truely 2.1 Meq/L just follow the directions. Caution: do not try to bring it up in one day as Alk spikes are notoriuos for killing clams and some other corals.

I am assuming that the Alk measue of 2.1 is Meq/L

You want 3.5-4.0 Meq/L

Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a 10-12 oz cup of RO/DI and stir vigorously.

Then pour into sump. This should raise 50 gallons about .5 Meg/L.

Do one cup per day till you are at the desired 3.5-4.0 Meq/L

Baking soda is relatively nuetral to PH, so you will not be throwing off the PH you have.

With your Calcium level as high as it is I would double check my alk readings against another kit before I proceeded as you may have an ALK reading issue. Once you are satisfied that your alk is truely 2.1 Meq/L just follow the directions. Caution: do not try to bring it up in one day as Alk spikes are notoriuos for killing clams and some other corals.

Yes - Meq/L. Thanks. I tried to buy a Salifert ALK test at Marine Scene this afternoon on the way home, but they were OUT of them. So I bought a spectrum analyzer instead... Okay - it's actually a refractometer. I'll be trying it out this evening! And of course two frags. I have to stop going in there; I think I've managed to walk out of there twice now without something. Out of 50 trips. I guess on my weekly BRK run I'll try to find another ALK test. But I don't think mine is all that far off - the tank upstairs runs 3.3-3.5 all the time with the same test kit.

bob

Hopefully BRK got some more Alk kits in 'cause I picked up the last one they had in stock a week or so ago.

As of yesterday, no. :(

Some beautiful fish, though. :)