MH vs. T5??

lanman

I like the look of Metal Halide. I like the shifting light in the water.

I want some actinic light - because I'm fairly well convinced that it helps things grow.

The only Metal Halide unit I've seen that also has actinics - is about $1000 (Maristar)

Most of them (Current, etc.) have MH - and those little white and blue LED's. ($450)

The equivalent T5 fixtures have the actinics; but I don't think the light is as pleasing. ($321) (Tek Light)

Any recommendations? 45-gallon tank with softies and SPS likely - maybe a few harder corals if I like them.

Thanks,

bob

Go DIY and get exactly what you want...

BTW do VHO suppliments rather than T5 for actinics you will be much happier...

As for main lights if you like the shimmer of MH by all means do that.

Dave

Go DIY and get exactly what you want...

BTW do VHO suppliments rather than T5 for actinics you will be much happier...

As for main lights if you like the shimmer of MH by all means do that.

Dave

DIY would be fun - but I'm kind of in a hurry. I already have some montipora in that tank (since yesterday), sitting under a 96-watt PC bulb. Great idea, though - maybe I'll get the T5's, and if I'm not satisfied, make my own with a couple of MH and a couple of fluorescents.

What's wrong with T5 actinics? Skinny little bulb doesn't have any oomph?

bob

Oh the bulbs have pleanty of umpf... it's just the blue on the VHO actinics is much more pleasing to the eye.

Dave

One thing I see people overlook often is the heat issue. If you chose halides you have to have a way to keep the heat in the tank undercontrol. For some people (depending on the setup, ambient room temperature, etc) heat doesnt become an issue, for others it can be a huge issue especially in an enclosed hood.

I dont want to discourage anyone from halides but tank temperature is something I see people overlook.

Most people do prefer the VHO actinics over the T-5 actinics but its personal preference. I experimented with a few different actinic and blue T-5 bulbs and found a look that I like but I really did not have a VHO option since I am using Tek light fixtures.

Edited by SDBDRZ

One thing I see people overlook often is the heat issue. If you chose halides you have to have a way to keep the heat in the tank undercontrol. For some people (depending on the setup, ambient room temperature, etc) heat doesnt become an issue, for others it can be a huge issue especially in an enclosed hood.

I dont want to discourage anyone from halides but tank temperature is something I see people overlook.

Most people do prefer the VHO actinics over the T-5 actinics but its personal preference. I experimented with a few different actinic and blue T-5 bulbs and found a look that I like but I really did not have a VHO option since I am using Tek light fixtures.

I have 2x 250 MH in an enclosed hood over my 75Gallon, I find that as long as I keep my house under 75degrees I rarely see my heat go over 82. And that's usually only because I'm not running my fans as of late. Unfortunately I haven't broken into the heat regulator technology yet so I usually vary btw 4 or 5 degrees during the day and night. That being said, everything in my tank is still happy and growing very well. But this forum sparks another question for me, I'll start another thread so I don't hijack. Hope this helps.

I have 2x 250 MH in an enclosed hood over my 75Gallon, I find that as long as I keep my house under 75degrees I rarely see my heat go over 82. And that's usually only because I'm not running my fans as of late. Unfortunately I haven't broken into the heat regulator technology yet so I usually vary btw 4 or 5 degrees during the day and night. That being said, everything in my tank is still happy and growing very well.

I certainly agree and a lot of people are running halides with similar temps to you. I just like having my temp set at 78 and not fluctuate more than 1/2 degree.

I ran halides and a chiller for years, my corals always did fine. Elevated temperatures (within reason) are not a bad thing but they do speed the metabolic rate of organism in the tank(this can be good or bad depending on the hobbiest :) ). I would prefer to see newer hobbiests focus on stability. Halides have their place in this hobby but I still think people put way too much emphasis in lighting and not enough emphasis on the rest of a setup. I dont want to get off on a tangent so I will just say what I always say, lighting is only one component to a successful reeftank.

I certainly agree and a lot of people are running halides with similar temps to you. I just like having my temp set at 78 and not fluctuate more than 1/2 degree.

I ran halides and a chiller for years, my corals always did fine. Elevated temperatures (within reason) are not a bad thing but they do speed the metabolic rate of organism in the tank(this can be good or bad depending on the hobbiest :) ). I would prefer to see newer hobbiests focus on stability. Halides have their place in this hobby but I still think people put way too much emphasis in lighting and not enough emphasis on the rest of a setup. I dont want to get off on a tangent so I will just say what I always say, lighting is only one component to a successful reeftank.

I purchased a Tek with one aquablue, one actinic, one mid-day and one actinic+. They had one set up in the shop that way, and I liked the light. Bright, but still warm. Did I do wrong (light bulbs are easy enough to replace)??

Now I can take my time, build a nice hood that matches the cabinet, put in my own combination of MH and fluorescents.

Heat should not be a problem, unless I really overdo it. This tank is in my cool basement. Even in summertime, it rarely gets over about 70 degrees.

bob