Camera Lens Recommendations

davelin315

OK, after multiple recommendations and doing some research, I am buying a Nikon D80 body only camera. Now, I need to get a lens to go with it! I'd like to buy one with the abilities to do catch all of the action with my children so I'd like to get one with an effective zoom and high quality lenses as well as one that can take some nice macro shots as I'd love to document my 300 when it finally gets up and running.

I have gotten a couple of lens brand recommendations so far but unfortunately, I didn't write anything down and can't remember what brands were recommended to me.

Sigma makes a good multipurpose lens. I use this one when I don't feel like lugging my Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 It cost only $429.99 and is a great piece of glass. It gets close, but not as close as a macro lens can get.

1. Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro (Nice lens with a decent zoom. 36-105mm Eq)

I have used the Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro and the Nikon 105mm VR 2.8 Micro. They are both awesome! If your on a budget, then get the Sigma. It runs about $400.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Edited by 143gadgets

Tamron 28-300 is a great all around lens, inexpensive, and lots of zoom... not the find detail of more expensive lenses but for shooting snaps, vacation shots, family,etc thats a good lens.

After than I think you want probably 1-2 dedicated detail lenes:

Macro Sigma 105 or the Tamron 90

THen a 24-70 sigma or nikon 24-70 is the other piece I would consider.

Dave

OK, thanks for the feedback! I got the D80 body today and now I'm looking at lenses. Got a good site for these? Last time I bought camera equipment online I went with digitalfotoclub.com. They had the best prices online that I could find for what I was doing. Suggestions are welcome!

Guest beatle

I've bought a few things (body, lenses) from keh.com. Their prices aren't bad, but their service is excellent. I've had to return/exchange things and they have always been accomodating.