Brown Algae/Diatoms and other questions

Boxxr

I have brown algae, or maybe diatoms on the sand and I also have green algae or more accurately a color change to green on some of the broken edges of the live rock. The sand has really gotten browner over the last day or so. There is a lot of bubbles attached to the brown algae also. My few pieces of coral are not extending (my hammers and frogspawn). Well, my leather is extending its polyps. I have cut my lightint to about 5 hours the last two days, but the algae/diatoms return.

The tank has been up for about 2 and

Edited by Boxxr

Micro-bubbles: check all of the connections on your return plumbing. It is possible you are sucking in air somewhere.

Algae: I think most tanks experience some type of algae bloom as they mature. Sounds like you've got diatoms. Could be worse - bryopsis and hair. Patience and dilligence are more likely to solve your problem than any quick fix. I would not reduce lighting. Instead, I would bring your Alk back up, increase circulation (particularly over the sandbed), make sure you are not adding any silicates via source water (i.e.--check the functioning of your RO/DI), maybe blow your rocks once a week or so w/ a turkey baster. Increase frequency of water changes and siphon out as much of the diatom film as you can each time. Let's see, what else? Macro-algae in refugium? Phosphate remover?

As for your clean-up crew, you're not asking the crew of a 24G to do all the work in a 120G are you? If you haven't already done so, get some more snails.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps.

Micro-bubbles: check all of the connections on your return plumbing. It is possible you are sucking in air somewhere.

Algae: I think most tanks experience some type of algae bloom as they mature. Sounds like you've got diatoms. Could be worse - bryopsis and hair. Patience and dilligence are more likely to solve your problem than any quick fix. I would not reduce lighting. Instead, I would bring your Alk back up, increase circulation (particularly over the sandbed), make sure you are not adding any silicates via source water (i.e.--check the functioning of your RO/DI), maybe blow your rocks once a week or so w/ a turkey baster. Increase frequency of water changes and siphon out as much of the diatom film as you can each time. Let's see, what else? Macro-algae in refugium? Phosphate remover?

As for your clean-up crew, you're not asking the crew of a 24G to do all the work in a 120G are you? If you haven't already done so, get some more snails.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps.

No I have purchased about 40 snails and about the same number of hermits. I think I will be getting some more snails soon.

One thing of note; I read the readings wrong for my Alkalinity. I am actually a tad high on that. 9.2 is the actual number. Note to self: don't do readings late at night :)

I moved the power heads to hit more of the sand and when I did my water change after posting this note, I did suck up as much as I could.

I don't have a refugium at the moment. I intend to plump my 24G in to be my refugium, but I am having difficulties as to how I am going to do that.

I think I just need to wait it out ...

ALK 2.226 is that in mg/L ? if that is the case, you may be too high on ALK.

I am using the Salifert KH/Alk test and when I made the original post; I had it wrong. Alkalinity in meg/L it should have read 3.43. When using KH in dKH; mine is 9.9. According to the enclosed directions; natural sea-water is 2.9 meg/l and 8dKH. So yes, mine is a little high. This area confuses me just a tad.

Alk of 9.9 is in the 'good' range and is just fine. More than trying to target a particular number, focus on maintaining it's stability.

Seems to be just your tank maturing. Diatoms typically appear in the tank for a bit, then they go away on their own. I wouldn't try any quick fixes, just keep up with your regular water changes!