New Yellow Headed Jawfish not eating?

'Ric

For my new tank I just got a mated pair of Yellow Headed Jawfish. They have been in hiding ever since I put them in the tank on Wednesday. One of them (or maybe both?) dug out under a live rock in a very difficult place to see. If I shine a flashlight back there, I only see his head for a second before he back down into the hole. I don't know where the other one is unless it's in the same hole. I haven't SEEN them out or eating. Ideas/concerns?

'Ric :(

For my new tank I just got a mated pair of Yellow Headed Jawfish. They have been in hiding ever since I put them in the tank on Wednesday. One of them (or maybe both?) dug out under a live rock in a very difficult place to see. If I shine a flashlight back there, I only see his head for a second before he back down into the hole. I don't know where the other one is unless it's in the same hole. I haven't SEEN them out or eating. Ideas/concerns?

'Ric :(

Where did you get them from? Did they eat there?

It's hard to say now what's going to happen. They might be looking for food when nobody is around. I would not worry just yet. Sometimes fish hides for some time when introduced to a new tank.

You might want to try some live food to tempt them out and eating

Actually, I QT all my fish not only to prevent deseases but also to make sure they eat. Might be a good idea next time you get fish.

Keep us updated!

Try a bunch of Mysis. When I had my blue head jawfish he loved it.

I tried squirting thawed frozen Mysis from a turkey baster in front of their hole - no response. I can't tell if they came out and got any later.

Where did you get them from? Did they eat there?

{{1}}

It's hard to say now what's going to happen. They might be looking for food when nobody is around. I would not worry just yet. Sometimes fish hides for some time when introduced to a new tank.

You might want to try some live food to tempt them out and eating

{{2}}

Actually, I QT all my fish not only to prevent deseases but also to make sure they eat. Might be a good idea next time you get fish.

Keep us updated!

{{3}}

1. http://sealifeflorida.com - I might set up a GB soon. I asked the owner if he would make a "free shipping" deal with us.

2. Is there a place I can get some live food in/near Arlington?

3. I live in a one bedroom condo with no space for a QT.

I ordered from them before and I think it's a good place.

But even with the great online vendors it's always a risk that fish will come too stressed, not eating, sick.

Check LFS - many have live brine whish usually is a good "primer" for not eating fish.

As for QT - it's really very much important. It can save you lot's of trouble and money, especially if you buy online. Not a big one - 5-10 gallons can be sufficient and it does not have to be assembled all the time :)

From sealifeflorida -

Please Note: Any new fish purchased from us or from a local pet store should to be quarantined. All fish from anywhere in the wild can be possible carriers of bacteria and protozoa that can lead to an infection in your system, so we always recommend that you use some sort of quarantine system prior to adding them to your system. If you have a fish only system and can medicate the whole system, you may not need a separate quarantine tank. If you have a reef system that cannot be medicated, a good ultraviolet sterilization system should prevent any kind of disease outbreak. We medicate our system for bacterial infections and protozoans, but because we don
Edited by dzekunoi

Jawfish often hide all day and come out for short periods at night, generally just to grab something and dart back in the hole. It's not surprising you haven't seen them. Once they become more accustomed to the place they'll come out. I had two that I loved that I lost from my heat controller malfunction. Very ad. I'd like to get more, but I dn't have enough sand in my system. Perhaps that will change :-).

UPDATE: Both are alive afterall! They are starting to realize that I come bearing food and are not as afraid. I blow some thawed Mysis shrimp in front of their holes and they pop out to grab a few bites. On is a lot more brave than the other, and was even fully out with the lights on, hiding behind a statue in the middle of my tank.

Last night one of them blew a large crater, about 3"-4" deep in the front corner of the tank. I don't know why. I havn't seen either of them near it. It's right in front, so I would love it if they were to build a home there, but it's just a big crater at the moment, not any kind of burrow from what I can tell.

The only other fish in the tank are a mated pair of Blue Neon Cleaner Gobies that came in the same order. They are out in front waiting for food almost 24/7 now. They have figured out there is no reason to hide despite our cat pawing a them.

'Ric

I don't think this was mentioned previously, but these guys are serious jumpers. Hopefully you have a hood or something that can prevent a mishap. I lost my only Yellow Head that way when I had my first tank (it was covered with a gladd canopy and the fish managed to jump out from the space between the glass and the hang on power filter.

They are really cool fish...I love watching them while diving in the Carribbean.

Edited by cabrerad

They're on the move! They did some more constuction work last night in the back of the tank. They buried a gap between rocks with rubble making a cave. Now both of the Jawfish are sharing the same hole.

I set my camera on manual mode and shown a flashlight in their cave and got the picture below. It's not so great, but you can kinda tell there is another jawfish behind the front one. I'll try to get a better pic when the opportunity comes.

I squirted some more thawed Mysis in front of the hole and they popped their heads out one by one and gulped them. One of the Jawfish is much more of a bold feeder relative to the other one. I don't know if that has anything to do with their sexes or mating process, etc. (does one provide for the other when they live together at some point in the mating cycle?)

I read up on them quite a bit before buying. Tank is covered, with a fold of bubblewrap tucked in the gap between the back of the tank and the hood where the hang-on filter, tubing and such pass through.

Cheers,

'Ric

gallery_1576_6_5211.jpg

Edited by 'Ric

I was able to get a better photo... an thus a new Avatar!gallery_1576_6_20002.jpg

'Ric

Thats great stuff, I am going to get some Jawfish when I can. My wife wants a jawfish tank setup, she likes to watch them work on their burrows. They'll get tame over time.

Thats great stuff, I am going to get some Jawfish when I can. ...

FYI: We have Group Buy going for the place where I got mine. I don't see a mated pair listed, but we could ask if that is what you are interested in. Otherwise, one Pearly Jawfish is only $12.50 there - best price I've seen.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12681

Cheers

'Ric