Big system set up

Aquariareview

Here is the log I am going to post for the new setup.

I will keep posting new photos and information to the same post so you can see it all in one place.

Some one wanted to give away a 240 gal Glass Cages with a leak.

I took a few friends to get the tank and when we got there I knew this was not a 240. Less than 30min (and a few injuries) we had it in a truck.

After I got it in the house I measured and i was right

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 98 inches

Tank Width = 32 inches

Tank Height = 26 inches

Tank volume is calculated as

Tank Volume = 353 Gallons

1new.jpg

I found the leak and fixed it

Next step the stand

Since I dont know how long I will live here and any stand I build for this monstor wont go through a door.

Here is the plan

Due to the weight of this thing I need to be real solid so I am going to build a stand out of Cinder Blocks. 4 blocks high and layed out as shown below.

standlayout.gif

I will top it with 3 layers of 3/4 plywood laminated together with liquid nails.  Cut out for the overflow

The sump is a 75 gal tank with plexi baffles as shown

sump.gif

Plumbing is simple, since I have made the decision to use Tunze Streams for water movment. I am looking for a pump for the return. I have not made a decision on what I need yet.

plumbing.gif

I am aquiring parts for the next few days. but I will post as soon as I start setting up..

As I said in another thread, I wish my wife would have trusted me with silicone, or I would have tried to beat you to it. [tr]

That thing is a monster! Keep up updated with the log. I know several of us that are about to bring up large tanks (240+), and would love to learn from your experience.

Guest HVF21221

Nathan, Tom at glasscages told me any tank wider than 24" needed to be supported in the center. Since I bought my tank from him I figured he knows what is best so I will have a center leg to my stand. Just wanted to let you know what he told me.

Howard

I spoke to him yesterday and so...

Stand design is changing. I am now running 3 small steel i-beams under the tank. They will form a triangle resting on the three center columns.  will post plans as soon as they are done. I am trying to have this on the stand by mid Nov.

Grav, I have owned 3, 240 gal tanks and as soon as I saw it I knew it was a lot larger than those. I made inside measurments and ran it thru the Reef Central Tank Volume Calculator (see first post)

I was going to put the tank in a school but it too large, so i am moving my setup into this tank then putting my old tank in the school.

I will Keep everybody updated but I am pretty low tech nature based in my system design. Stay Tuned