watanabei angels

jamal

it is somewhat difficult to find good info on this fish so i came here. i want a pair of the but my lfs tells me that it is better to have three of them for two reasons. first is one of them will become a male and that will offset the agressive courting of one male to one female between two females and one male. reason two is that it is the same price to get three females and it is difficult to get a male in the store. what do you guys think. im pretty sure i dont have sufficient space for 3 of these beautiful fish. what do u guys think or recommend?

I have a pair in my 250 and love them. These guys are not easy to acclimate so be sure your water is in top shape or you will be tossing $300 down the toilet. Don't buy 3 females, buy a M/F pair.

Male

W2.jpg

Pair at the surface in this old tank shot (18 months ago)

DSCN3140.jpg

The Watanabe's Angel requires a 100 gallon or larger tank, and is an ideal candidate for the deep-water reef aquarium. Acclimation will be facilitated by a dimly-lit tank. The tank should have multiple hiding places and live rock for grazing.

Watanabe's Angelfish are best housed as a male-female pair. Do not keep two males in the same tank as fighting will ensue. The Watanabe's Angelfish are hermaphroditic and difficult to breed.

Watanabe's Angelfish seem very susceptible to swimbladder damage.

A varied diet of meaty foods such as vitamin-enriched brine shrimp and finely-chopped crustacean flesh, Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysid or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items will provide good nutrition.

Members of the genus Genicanthus are planktivores and will not bother corals or clams in the aquarium, making them the perfect reef angel. In Watanabe's angelfish, both sexes are light blue overall, but males have a deeper blue on the back, there are horizontal black stripes on the body, there are black stripes on the anal fin and the caudal lobes are blue. In females there are no stripes on the body or anal fin, there are black markings above the eye that are trimmed in bright blue and the caudal lobes have black bands on the margins. Not difficult to keep once acclimated. Keep only with very peaceful tankmates. This is a deeper water species that requires careful collection and handling, beware of cheap specimens.

Edited by Leishman

(edited)

would it be good to get two females so that one will turn into a male? also does it make more since to order them from a good online dealer or have a store order them?

Edited by jamal

I know John @ BRK has seen them on his list.

I know that only 7 males a week come in to one of the biggest wholesalers in the US.

FWIW, I got mine @ roozens 2 years ago for $210 (M/F Pair)

i contacted roozens and brk about them and roozens said check back on wednesday and i am still waiting to hear from johnny

Guest Bemmer

i contacted roozens and brk about them and roozens said check back on wednesday and i am still waiting to hear from johnny

Hey Jamal,

There is a line forming to your right for these babies. :biggrin: I have already spoken to John @ BRK about the Watanabei angels. I would definately buy them from John, if given the chance...after me that is. :lol2:

Rebecca

i would prefer to get it from johnny but roozens gets them on a fairly regular basis and like you said there is a waiting list for him. i will wait until i talk to him first as i like the care he gives his fish

I was at EA in Baltimore yesturday (Thursday 02/01) and they had one. I think it was $150.00 but I cannot remember for sure. I don't know if they had more than one though, it was not something I was looking for so I really didn't take much notice of it.

would it b ok to just get the female today and get the male next week? would they get along

How much are these things these days?

I see the female is $129 on liveaquaria.com. The male is $249 (female on sale for $99) @ marinecenter.com

They are not cheap for a poor student, I guess :eek:

We have brought two pairs into the shop.(That I know of) So far none have made it past the first week. They are extremely hard to get healthy. The second pair we got in the male had a lot of damage from constantly slamming himself against the plastic bag.

Be extremely careful when purchasing these fish.

-Byron

I would try to get a different type of Genicanthus angel. I have the Bellus and they are even harder to get but seem to do better over the long term and their colors don't fade out. Wantanabie don't seem to do well past 1 year. Do you still have yours Rik? Semifasciatus and Melaonspilus seem to fade out too. Lamarks keep their color but the male and female look very similar to start with. Red sea Zebras seem to keep their colors to but are also difficult to find. IME, the Bellus are your best bet for Genicatnhus for maintaining color and long lifespan in a captive environment.

George

Edited by geofloors

im hoping johnny will get a nice pair and call me. i dont like the other species so i will just have to try them. also has anyone had problems with clams and this species of angel?

i would like to know how long i can keep them in quarantine with what size tank. i only have a 20gal long for this. what would be the minimum size tank i would need for this?