Is there such a thing as too much flow for a return?

Guest vatbrew

Guest vatbrew

I want to get a new pump for the system I just bought. Is there such a thing as too much power for a return? Ex. Mag-18 = @1800 gph for a 125 reef?

I want to get a new pump for the system I just bought. Is there such a thing as too much power for a return? Ex. Mag-18 = @1800 gph for a 125 reef?

Things that would constitute too much flow include

* Sizing your return more than than your overflow can handle

* Trying to push flow through plumbing that can't handle it (i.e. SCWD - max 1000gph)

* Blowing your inhabitants all over the tank

I doubt you'll exceed that with a Mag 18 on a 125. So I imagine you're fine. You can increase flow without increasing velocity by using wider diameter return plumbing -- to avoid bullet #3. Something like a wide-nozzle loc-line also significantly disperses flow allowing for high turnover with less velocity out of the pipe.

Guest vatbrew

I have a SCWD attached to this tank right now. Should I go with a lower Mag, like a 9 ???

Are SCWD's even worth it?

yes, it is possible to pump water into the tank faster than it can flow out of the tank. It really depends on what the overflow is rated for. The all-glass website says their overflows are rated at 600gph each. Don't forget to factor in head height too. 2 overflows @600gph each (1200gph) + 6 ft head height, I would aim for a 1600gph pump or something in that neighborhood. You have a little wiggle room with overflows. They don't have to be exactly 600 gph. you can push them a bit.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

Edited by madmax7774

A SCWD can't handle more than 1400 GPH.......which means a mag 18 would be too much. However, you can do like I'm doing........I'm going with 2 mag 12 pumps each attached to a SCWD. You get more random flow and if one pump ever goes down you don't totally lose your tank turnover. Just a thought.

A SCWD can't handle more than 1400 GPH.......which means a mag 18 would be too much.

Disagree.

I have a Mag-18 hooked up to a SCWD, no problems. AND its on my 75gal tank.

Granted water travels 3-4 feet up before it reaches the SCWD, which puts it around 1400gph, but still, I've had no problems.

JMO.

I definitely like the idea of two SCWD's on two pumps though.... I'll have to work that into my future budget.

-Ben

Disagree.

I have a Mag-18 hooked up to a SCWD, no problems. AND its on my 75gal tank.

Granted water travels 3-4 feet up before it reaches the SCWD, which puts it around 1400gph, but still, I've had no problems.

JMO.

I definitely like the idea of two SCWD's on two pumps though.... I'll have to work that into my future budget.

-Ben

I think you're flirting with disaster. I've read horror stories of the SCWDs blowing out from too much pressure (and some of those were with mag18s). I can't tell you what to do but if I were in your shoes I would sell the mag 18 and get 2 mag 12s and another SCWD. This will give you good turnover with your tank, allow you to create some random flow and you won't have nightmares about your SCWD exploding. :biggrin:

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. :cheers:

Guest vatbrew

Alright, NEWB ALERT!!!

How do you run 2 pumps with 2 SCWDS ??? Here's what confuses me. My pump has the scwd attached which breaks off into 2 lines. One for each return. If you had 2 scwds, isn't that 4 return lines???

Alright, NEWB ALERT!!!

How do you run 2 pumps with 2 SCWDS ??? Here's what confuses me. My pump has the scwd attached which breaks off into 2 lines. One for each return. If you had 2 scwds, isn't that 4 return lines???

Yep, that would be 4 return lines. But if all the return lines were pointed in different directions you could create a nice random flow pattern.

Hi Todd,

You saw how I had my 125 set up. I have 2 mag 9.5 running. I like this set up for 2 reasons: 1) if one pump fails I still have one running so the tank is still getting turned over to the sump and 2? I can have water being pump to each corner of the tank and directionally pointed where I want the water flow to go. Plus the water flow is about an equivilent to one mag 18 but I think the 2 pump advantage outways just 1 pump configurations. Cheers.

Sam

Guest vatbrew

My tank is only drilled for 1 return each side. I saw the 4 returns in your tank, but didn't question it. So are your tanks drilled for 2 returns each side?

Edited by vatbrew

My tank is only drilled for 1 return each side. I saw the 4 returns in your tank, but didn't question it. So are your tanks drilled for 2 returns each side?

Each corner has an overflow and a return line. Each return line has 3 loc line openings to disperse the flow to different parts of the tank. So 2 pumps to 2 returns (each corner) to 6 outlets in tank.

Edited by Tang-away