live rock

rmoyer001

I began my tank with live rock and regular rock (couldnt afford enough live). It has been running for about 3/4 months and is getting healthier but nitrates are high. My question is will the rest of the rock become cured so that evantually my nitrates should start to come down. If not i was considering switching the rock with live rock. any thoughts.

What is regular rock? what minerals does it consist of and how porous is it? What is your animal load?

Live rock can take 6mos. to colonize with enough bacteria to start getting nitrates down. Bucca

not too sure what its exactly made of. Bought it at the fish place in Lancaster PA, Its very porous though. GUess it cant hurt to add more LR

Eventually the rock will cure. It shouldn't take too long, maybe a few months. keep up with water changes (RO/DI, not tap) to get nitrates down, and you'll be fine.

-Ben

From what I've read (I'm new at this, but have read hundreds of articles), nitrates are mostly taken care of by anaerobic bacteria in the sand bed; ammonia and nitrites by more aerobic bacteria in the live rock. ( :wig: <----live rock doing aerobic exercises) How are the ammonia, nitrite, pH and Alkalinity readings?? How high is HIGH for your nitrates? There's a pretty good article 'pinned' somewhere on this site about basic chemistry, and what NOT to worry so much about.

bob